Jacket style vs rear inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janamc

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been looking for the pros and cons of the jacket-style vs rear inflate BC. Haven't really found the info I've been looking for tho. I'm a newbie and looking to buy my first set of gear. I certified with a jacket-style and was happy with that. What's the advantage to the rear inflate type?

Here are a few I'm looking at in a package in case you have any insight on them:
Aeris EX300
Tusa Selene
Sherwood Solaris
Mares Kaila

I also found a NWT Aqualung Libra on ebay for a great price, but it's much more expensive to piece a set together rather than buy a package. I'm getting a little overwhelmed with all these gear options.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Jana

I started with a jacket style and it worked well. The only problem I had with it was that it tended to ride up on me. I might could have put a crotch strap on but didnt. Instead I went with a BP&W. As far as the ones you have listed, I have no experience. Good luck on your selection.

For jacket style BCD, I use: CLASSIC UNLIMITED - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

You also might consider this BC: Pearl

It would be most helpful to you to try these BC's in the pool before you buy them if at all possible. You also need to know what type of diving you are going to be doing (tropics only, cold water, local, travel).

I have been using the Scubapro Classic for over 10 years now (with the AirII) and very happy with it. I'd consider the BP/W type BC for my drysuit since the SP Classic doesn't fit my drysuit too well.

Good luck.

I found the back inflate bc way more comfortable underwater, and didn't squeeze me on the surface.
jacket styles when inflated tended to want to put me vertical in the water column, going with a back inflate puts the entire bladder behind you (and hence above you when diving) which makes it easier to trim out.

Plus when on the surface just lean back and it is like hanging out in a comfy recliner :)

With the SP Classic, I can stay in any position, vertical, horizontal (face in water and/or on back). In fact, I can lay on my back on the surface waiting to be picked up by the boat for a long time without too much effort.

BTW, if the BC is squeezing you, then you are putting too much air in it that you don't need.

What's the advantage to the rear inflate type?

1) Buoyancy spread more equally/consistently across your torso, which makes decent trim and stability easier to attain.

2) When fully inflated, the bladder does not squeeze you, or cause a change in the fit of the BCD (making the BCD loose and floppy once descended).

3) Inflation of the bladder does not interfere with access to BCD pockets and/or limit you ability to quickly access you weigh belt (or otherwise reach you lower torso/limbs).

Put a crotch strap on the jacket bc but make sure it does not interfere with ditching of weight.

i dove back inflates forever until finding my pro qd i3....that thing is very nice and i found that my initial foray into jackets would've been better had i been fitted right. whichever fits best and is the most comfortable for you will be the best bcd for you.

Thanks for all the info. Think I'm gonna hold off a little longer, maybe try to rent a rear inflate just to see how that works out before I decide.

I am in the same boat, I was in my Stress and Rescue class last night and all the towing and stuff with the BC fully inflated was really riding up on me and not fitting well.
I tried a back inflate in the pool and it felt nice. I just dont know what to look at and dont have a fullt sprouted money tree in the back yard as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom