buckles on the transplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ofl0926

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey whats up everyone. i am currently in the market for a bp/wing... so i went to my local dive shop to see them and ask questions. they told me that the transplate is a good set up but those buckles could fail once you start to carry like a deco bottle and so forth. has anyone ever heard anything about this?

Some agencies consider buckles on the harness to be unnecessary failure points and encourage the use of a single unbroken piece of webbing. The OPH is infinitely adjustable and has the advantage of the buckle not ending up in an awkward spot. Since the simple OPH is usually quite a bit cheaper than the "deluxe" models with buckles and padding, why not start there, and upgrade later if you feel the need. Chances are, you won't.

OPH as in one piece harness correct?!?

I'm not a big believer in the "failure points" argument. The extra buckles do get in the way, however, and you will probably find the one-piece harness easy to doff and don once you get it properly adjusted.

I recently converted from translate haness to one piece harness because of gue fundie. Oph is definitely harder to don/diff especially if you dive with thick undergarment & drysuit. In water comfort wise, they're the same. On land comfort, translate wins by big margin. In water performance, oph has advantage of being less clutter. Clipping thing off chest d ring is easier.

I will not move back to transplate after fundie. However,I will use it for my warm water set up.

I have walked a few hundred miles with various buckles
and harnesses and rigs, with singles and twins and then
struck problems, when I tried to fit through a 2'11, hole
so I had a quick look around and found one that was 3'1

but you can always add some shoulder pads to a OPH.
being that i dont do the cave diving but will eventually do wreck, what do you think would be best. transplate, halcyon or DSS setup? and why?

If you're set on a non-DIR/OPH then save yourself some money and just get a Dive Rite Deluxe Harness WITHOUT the qiuick releases. It actually has a chest strap with a quick release, but that's the only one. I've dove OPH's for years and they are simple, cheap and infinitely adjustable, but I also have A DR "Deluxe" and it is just as good in my op. DR Deluxe's are something like 36.00 bucks with all the hardware, and are very easy to setup. As far as ease of clipping things on and off the d Rings, it's simply a matter of familiarity, and is just as easy as an OPH with practice.

I haven't carried a deco bottle or three with my Transplate harness so I can't say without assurance that the plastic buckles won't fail. However, I've done some stints with the US Army paratroopers and have jumped out of airplanes with ruck sack that have same types of buckles with said ruck sack slamming into the ground upon landing, and with said ruck sack loaded up to at least 70-lbs worth of gears. None of those buckles ever broke. Said ruck sack also went with me to Alaska, Germany, Korea, a coupla joints in the Middle East while fully loaded down with gears and said buckles tested by being sat on, thrown off vehicles, rolled downhills (my bad). Those "flimsy" plastic buckles never broke.

While I have lots of respect for deco divers/cave divers/wreck penetration dives and even ice divers. I seriously doubt that they would have subjected the plastic buckles on the Transplate (or similar setup) to harder environs than the plastic buckles on my cheap US Army issued ruck sack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom