Venice vs. Naples

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am new to this forum. I hope that I am posting this in the right place. If not, where should I post?

My question:

My family DH, DD 15 and DS 12 need to do their open water checkout dives. Due to location and limited time frame, we have it narrowed down to two different dives. Venice or Naples.

I would like for them to have the best experience possible with this being their first dives.

Hunting for sharks teeth sounds awesome (my family is into that kind of thing). But am worried about the visibility. Would Naples be better? We will be going the first part of August.

Also, Venice would be shore dives, Naples boat dives. Pros and cons to these?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I just did my first venice dive and I d on't think it would be a good first dive, unless the visibility is good. As far as I know the vis at venice is very unpredictable.

Thanks for the quick reply Robibler!

Why do you not think it would be a good first dive? Just because of the visibility or are there other reasons?

TIA!

Would it be a shore dive, or off of a boat? I've noticed that the visibility is better out at the Boneyard than it is at the reef off of Venice Beach.

When my daughter was ten we were diving Venice, hunting teeth is the draw. There are interesting critters around the blocks to see also.

I dive Venice a lot and would Not recomend it for first dives unless you do boat dives and go out to 40 to 60 ft the viz should be better out there. Some agencies consider diving in low visibility an advanced dive. Whomever you do the check out dives with should put you in the right place and conditions, but Venice beach is not the place unless the wind has been from the east for several days and even then you will only get 8 to 10ft of visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom