help with servicing sea & sea 20mm lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right forum to post on, but the Sea & Sea forum seems to be all about the digital cameras.

I've got a Nikonos V that I would like to use again. I've been out of diving for around 15 years and so has the camera. Now I know where I can get the camera serviced, but don't know where to get my Sea & Sea 20mm serviced. Sea & Sea's website suggests Backscatter, but they say they don't work on any Nikonos stuff anymore. I also have a YS-50 flash that I used for macro work. Nothing is wrong with either of these two items, but I would think there are some o-rings or something that needs to be serviced after 15 years of sitting in a closet.

I hate to just toss the gear, I think it can still give good service, but I'm not sure I want to take these guys on a dive trip only to have them die a horrible death on the first dive.

Any suggestions?

Okay an update since a fair number of people have looked at this, but apparently don't have any advice to offer.

Based on a call to Sea & Sea, I was directed to contact Devon at Pacific Housing Repair in Monterey, Calif. Devon told me that the 20mm Sea & Sea lens and the 35mm Nikonos lens do not need any service as long as the iris and focusing knobs operate correctly and the lens elements are not cloudy or moldy. The o-ring on the lens mount will need to be changed, but that is available online.

As to the YS-50 flash, there is at least one o-ring inside the head that needs to be accessed by a service tech that should be changed. Devon said that the service fee would have to be figured out after looking at the flash unit, but that as long as the unit works it shouldn't be a problem to service.

Devon also works on Nikonos V cameras. So, I will be posting my camera body and YS-50 flash unit to him to be serviced.

Hope this helps people who still have old Nikonos cameras laying around!

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom