Sea Dwellers.Key largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EastEndDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Can I get some feedback on Sea Dwellers in Key largo? I am possibly planning a trip down there and the hotel has dive packages thru them....any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Thats who I dive with when I'm in Key Largo. They have large boats, a friendly staff and are relatively safe operation. I say relatively safe because they let us dive molasses reef with 4-6 ft rollers coming in. Some younger diver attempted to exit the water and got hot in the face with the ladder. She was bloody but was had enough balls (ovaries?) to make the second dive. To be fair, we weren't the only charter out that day. The boat usually fills up in season so its a zoo. Overall, I had a great time and have no regrets.

Eastenddiver,

Sea Dwellers is a good operation, have a big boat in the canal adjacent to Holiday Inn--the store is across US1. For someone staying at that hotel--it couldn't be more convenient. Some of the rooms are 30-40 ft away from the boat. It's a short trip out to Molasses Reef, etc.

There are many other dive ops on both sides of that canal including big and small dive operations. HMS Minnow is on the Holiday Inn side too, Rainbow Reef on the other side--a short walk away. Best Western is on the Rainbow Reef side. Ocean Divers/Marina Del Mar is on the Holiday Inn side of the canal and oceanward a bit.

I've dove with Sea Dwellers several times in the past. Not lately though. First time I stayed at the Holiday Inn and had a room about 100 feet from their boat. There are cheaper places to stay but not as convenient. I took the shuttle from Lauderdale once which cost me nearly as much as to rent a car from Payless rental at the airport. One time they had trouble with a drive shaft on the boat and I ended up diving with Horizon Divers on the other side of the Marina. Horizon has a deal with the local Ramada which was, at the time, cheaper than Dwellers deal with Holiday Inn. Later I rented a room at Ed and Ellens and drove the few miles to the Marina and saved about $100 in room rent. Not as fancy as the hotels but sufficient enough for me. I liked diving with them and liked their big ol' boat.

Are there any dive boat operators in Key Largo that accept solo divers?

I treat every dive as a 'solo' dive. I've found that most divers who want to go alone also want more bottom time. On these boat dives time is of the essence. The captain will tell you that you only have like 45 minutes to bring your self back to the boat because he/she has to to get back before noon for the next bunch of divers. You can get by with a little more on the afternoon dive though. And when I'm diving with an 'instant buddy' he/she had better be able to take care of themselves because I surely won't be able to help them except if they need some air or want to know what time it is. I explain this to them before we jump in. Once they understand this they usually end up leading. Suits me cause I could get lost in a one-chair barber shop. I just don't have a big enough ego to insist on diving alone or leading anyway. I just enjoy the dive.

Are there any dive boat operators in Key Largo that accept solo divers?
I'm not aware of any that "officially" have such a policy but you may find that some boats, after you've done a few dives with them, tend to recognize a capable and responsible diver and take a more relaxed posture on that subject. Then again, I've found a few fresh donuts given to a hungry captain before the AM go can do wonders. (I trust the wording of this post is sufficiently nebulous to be, uh, sufficiently nebulous.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom