Advice for LDS operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Sailor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just a mellow rant - I try to balance supporting my local dive shops and taking advantage of the prices available on-line. Local dive shops are a great resource and that's why I have no problem paying a little more for some of my gear. In my case, that means going a bit out of my way to get to the LDS.

I decided to try a new shop yesterday to get a replacement for the mask I lost during a recent rescue class because they advertised as being open until 8:00 p.m. on Mondays, which meant I could get there after work (after driving 30-40 minutes). Well, drive out, get there at 7:40 and CLOSED! They lost a quick sale and a potential customer.

Stick to your hours of operation or tell people to call ahead. I understand it can be a low volume business and it can get boring at the end of the day, but that's your job and that's why I can justify paying a little more to shop locally. End rant.

A phone call saying you were on the way would have prevented this....just sayin'

Seriously? Blame the customer? Sorry, but if you post a schedule telling the public you will be there during those hours, its not unreasonable to expect someone to be there. Why should the customer have to take an extra step to verify the shop will follow through on their representations? They posted hours. Either follow them or don't post them. Seems pretty simple. The LDS is a business. Is it too much to expect that they act like one? Just sayin'.

It's hard to agree with both views. Most LDS's I've seen are not corporate owned, they're family owned. Those types of shops can't always or choose not to always keep their exact hours.

How do you know something hadn't come up, a special circumstance that made them close early without any notification on the door?

Personally if I'm driving more than 30mins to a non-corporate store I've never been to before, I call.

Sign seen on a dive shop in the BVI's ...

Store Hours:

Monday thru Friday - Whenever
Saturday and Sunday - Sometimes

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i always call first
saves just that sort of aggravation!!
i once took a hour and a half trip across the border
just to find out that the whole group at the shop had gone to beneath the sea for the weekend!!!!
i went diving anyways..go figure...
but a phone call could have avoided this tragedy!!!!
have fun and cut these folks some slack!
they like to dive too!!!!!!!!!
yaeg:cool2:

I agree with the op to an extent. Posted hours should be adhered to. True, things do come up, and if it's a small shop, they may be off on a trip with students or what have you. But these changes in hours should be clearly posted.

The only time I'll call my Lds of choice is if I'm running over after work and will be cutting it close to their closing time, or to verify the product I'm looking for is actually in stock or ready to be picked up. Otherwise, I expect them to be there during operating hours. Unfortunately in this case they lost a sale and possibly a new customer.

I'm lucky. :D My LDS is about 3 minutes away, and the husband-and-wife team that run it keep great hours. Husband gets there at 8:30 and stays till 10:30 (except on Monday and Saturday, then he's there all day), when he goes off to do his other job (he's also a cop), at which point his wife turns up and stays there until AT LEAST 5:30. I usually try to make it in when the husband is around. He is extremely knowledgeable about all the gear he sells and diving in general, be it rec, tech, or public safety.

Yep. Call ahead if it's any distance to drive. The nearest LDS to me is 100 miles round trip and I wouldn't think of driving down there without calling first.

Cixelsyd I was not blaming the OP. In today's economy paying someone when there are no customers makes no sense. So they close early. Sucks but a fact of life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom