Jellyfish Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMDavid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've been getting reports from Key West to Fernandina Beach of a jellyfish invasion.

Are there any around your saltwater dive location in Florida?

Here is the list of locations that have reported in the past few days:

- Fernandina Beach
- Blue Heron Bridge
- Key Largo
- Marathon Key
- Key West

---
- FB-Florida Scuba Diver

Last edited:
We saw quite a few Moon Jellies during the DPV races on the Copenhagen (Pompano Beach) about two weeks ago. We are diving the Captain Dan this morning, I'll let you know if I see any today.

Mitch

the moon jellies have been dense this past week everywhere(8 consecutive days) iv'e been freediving for lobsters in the upper keys. yesterday on a few of the patch reefs inside the elbow and watsons reef, i had to vacate the water as the moon's were everwhere(iv'e been wearing a lycra skin and hood which offers minimal protection). on the + side iv'e seen numerous turtles and fish devouring them while in and out of the water. vinegar i keep on the boat works well when stung,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
David, I dive out of St. Mary's and, yes, there have been jellies. Two or three weeks ago, so many that it was impossible to avoid.

There were plenty of jellies in Islamorada when I dove there the last weekend of July. Dove Panacea Aug 6th and there were moons and some I can't identify (tentacles 4-5 ft or maybe longer), plus the small ones you can barely see.

we were out diving dania beach this past wednesday and there were 1000s of them. Got stung a bunch.... not fun. later that night they were playing "Jellyfish Invasion" on tv :facepalm:
I was out at the same site yesterday and saw a couple, not nearly as many as wednesday tho

We dove the miller lite yesterday in pompano and our deco stops were like playing dodge ball with the jellies.

On Wed night out of Miami Beach they were TERRIBLE. During the 2 night dives I must have gotten stung literally 50+ times. I was COVERED with stings, still am 3 days later. What a nightmare.

We went to the Pipes and another location.

For the love of God man Don't go, Don't go lol.

so many moon's this morning on the patch reefs(8-15FT) north of the statue, that i observed only 1 boat besides myself freediving for bugs(haven't been on the outer reefs since a week ago friday)(lobster #s have been good on the shallow patches). did observe a small turtle, scrawled filefish and bermuda chubs chowing on the smaller moons this AM. been here a long time and i can't recall the sheer #s of moon jellyfish the past week or so, or the man of wars that plagued the upper keys this past feb, march,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

We saw tons of jellies diving out of Key Largo this week. I got this shot on Conch wall early in the week. Glad I had my 1mm wetsuit.

moon_jellies_1j_d2_keys_811.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom