Brain Eating Amoebae are back!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, first off, since the amoeba affects the brain, anyone who takes that article seriously should be quite safe.

And although I do believe that heavy industrialization has had an impact on our planet, I doubt that's got anything to do with this particular problem. Water temperature in shallow ponds such as the ones in these incidents are influenced by weather ... not climate ... and the two should not be confused. Furthermore, these amoebas have existed in warm, shallow water bodies worldwide since long before the industrial age began.

A better question might be how the bacteria got there.

I'm not getting what this has to do with basic scuba in any case ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you were to do a historical check of news articles you will find that these cases happen every few years. I remember the same thing happening in Florida almost every year in the 80's. The news articles would warm swimmers to stay out of the lakes when the water temperature got into the high 70 low 80 range as this was the perfect temperature for these critters. Nothing new here and not caused by Global Warming.

Yeahbutt, the AlGore-ites will find a relationship between the amoeba and global warming any way they can. Bet on it.

I'm not getting what this has to do with basic scuba in any case ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In Sheck Exley's book the Amoebae are named as a possible contributor to Frank Martz's death. The suggestion was that since the Amoebae enter your brain through the sinus cavities and that Mr. Martz became infected doing deco during cave dives. Knowing he had an incurable infection he may have decided to continue his dive downwards without a lot of concern regarding the ascent.

Back
Top Bottom