Trying out BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RyanCY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

My girlfriend and I are looking into purchasing some hard pack gear. Whilst I feel it is quite acceptable to buy first and second stage regulators based on reviews one reads online, I am certain that this is not true for BCs due to their someone more personal fitting requirements.

The question is, how does one go about buying a BC if you are not able to get your hands on one in the size that you require? There are a few BC's that we are interested in but finding a LDS which a) actually stocks these BC's and b) has them in the correct size, is basically impossible. One can understand that there are many types of BCs on the market and keeping every size of every BC is not economical, let alone allowing people to try them out in the water (advice frequently given in just about every "how to buy a BC" article on the internet). That said, do you just chance it and get the LDS to order what you *think* will fit?

Some added information is that we live in Pretoria, South Africa (a decidedly not coastal town).

Any input or advice is greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Well I saw my instructors bc, he has a nighthawk and oceanic islander 2, I liked the knighthawk but it is pricey, on the other hand the zeagle brigade is similar and a little cheaper. But I still want.the scubapro..

Buy from an online store like scubatoys. They have a policy you can buy anything even a bc and use it and if you don't like it you can return it for store credit and try another. But before you buy it make sure that you look at the other bcs they have as a backup. Because once you buy the bc and get it wet you can still return it but you can't get a refund you get a store credit and can buy something else. I would go for the site that offers that policy and has the best options of bc for you. But scubatoys is great and has great customer service.

This might help you.
Never compare more that 2 brands/models at a time. Pick a winner before moving on to evaluate a third BC.
Style and color have more to do with price than they to do with function.
Try it on, snug it down correctly and have your dive buddy grab the tank bands and see how much the BC will slide around on your back. Up, down and sideways, with enthusiasm. One brand won't move an inch and another might move around on you like a cheap sportcoat. Nobody likes the tank sliding around on their back!
Will you have to wear a crotch strap to controll movement during the dive? Is the rig going to float up over your head while floating on the surface? Is the weight system going to add stability or is it an after thought in the design of the BC?
Is the BC somewhat sleek and devoid of unnecessary drag inducing ornaments you have no use for?
Some BC's resemble a diver wearing a Lazy Boy recliner.
There is a lot more to proper fit than just being able to put it on your back.
Hope this helps!

Or just make it easy on yourself and buy a Halcyon Infinity. The straps are fully and easily adjustable for any and all sizes. Choose a wing size with appropriate lift requirement for your specific type of dive and equipment configuration.

Back
Top Bottom