Hurricane Blues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USCGscuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have vacation over this weekend and had planned dive trips through North and South Carolina. Needless to say I am BUMMED I even have a new set of regs to try out. So my question here is how is Florida's West coast looking as far as diving? I was thinking maybe trying it out I have never dove over there. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

So it's YOUR fault. How about coming here to Panama City. I've got a house I'd love to unload and I'm not getting many takers right now and would love to lose it to a hurricane.

I never trust the forecast for the west coast of Florida but the forecast for wave activity at Key Largo, Tavernier and Islamarada is for a little over three foot waves on Saturday and two-footers on Sunday. Unless that changes that's pretty much average for down there. I tried diving off of Tampa once and, being used to the good diving off of the southeast coast, I was pretty dissappointed.

So it's YOUR fault. How about coming here to Panama City. I've got a house I'd love to unload and I'm not getting many takers right now and would love to lose it to a hurricane.

No kidding. I've got a house in Jax I can't get rid of. Of course it's 30 miles inland and cinder block construction so its not going anywhere even in a hurricane.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

I hear you guys on that LOL. I also apologize about my vacation causing this hurricane mess:idk: Any way so what are good dive charters in your area of west FL?

I have vacation over this weekend and had planned dive trips through North and South Carolina. Needless to say I am BUMMED I even have a new set of regs to try out. So my question here is how is Florida's West coast looking as far as diving? I was thinking maybe trying it out I have never dove over there. Any and all recommendations are welcome.
There is a reasonably good chance the the Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park will still be good, even with the hurricaine going on....
The only issue is how much on an angle the waves are hitting the beach at...meaning how much sand is geting transported by long shore drift....We can have 15 foot seas with a straight east wind, and vis can be huge...too much of an north or south angle to the waves though, and silting/clouding up of the BHB area will occur when the tide pulls the transported sand into the inlet.
Vis could be as bad as 10 feet with a bad storm.. it is rarely worse though that I remember.

I was actually thinking of a caving course as well. I have dove strictly oceans and rivers with an occasional lake here and there. A springs dive could be fun. The only ones I know of are Blue Grado "sp?" and Ginnie Springs. Do you know of others that may be better?

I never trust the forecast ...

i stoped lissening to the wether man in 1992
he said the hurricane was going to turn
:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom