PADI: Lionfish Spearing Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone know if PADI (or any other agency) teaches a specialty course on how to hunt, collect and maybe cook lionfish? I'm not talking about a spearfishng course, but something specifically designed for lionfish?

If not, Why not? Too much liability?

It seems like there is a lot of interest in it but it seemingly presents a lot of potential hazards, particularly if the diver is going to collect the fish for food....?? Might be one specialty that is better taught... than learned the hard way..

While I cant find anything on the PADI site about it (which Im sure you checked anyways), if you google PADI lionfish specialty course you get all sorts of hits on something. Basically saying that they are offering it or going to. Weird eh?

Wasn't there a thread somewhere on here a few months back from an instructor who was in the process of putting one together? A quick search didn't find it, but maybe you'd be more determined than I.

Yes, it is called "Lionfish Awareness and Elimination". It is a "Distinctive Specialty" and was developed by an Instructor in Bonaire. Yes, there is a thread.

There's now a PADI standardized distinctive specialty called "Invasive Lionfish Tracker". According to that other thread, it's somewhat different from the course developed by the instructor in Bonaire.
see: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...fish-awareness-elimination-7.html#post5868674

The PADI course encourages tracking, reporting, capture and euthanasia, but not spearing. It also does not include anything about cooking.

Last edited:
Next it will be a PADI "how to ascend the ladder" cert for around $400. Geeez.

Maybe PADI is wisely laying back on this decision. There seems to be some new info indicating that the invasion may not be as harmful as originally thought, even to the point of possibly being beneficial.

Next it will be a PADI "how to ascend the ladder" cert for around $400. Geeez.

Another helpful post as always. Price on Bonaire is $115.

Maybe PADI is wisely laying back on this decision. There seems to be some new info indicating that the invasion may not be as harmful as originally thought, even to the point of possibly being beneficial.

I hadn't heard anything like that. Do you have references for this information?

thanks for the responses everyone.

Dumpster, I can't find the thread but it's been going on for quite a while. A guy from the Bahamas has come up with some interesting observations. I'll try and find the thread and give you the link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom