Florida Keys Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am thinking about making a trip to the Florida Keys to do some diving, however, as it is a long trip form Europe, I'd like to ask a few questions in advance:

1. Is the diving good?
2. If so, what dive sites are best?
3. As I'm unfamiliar with the area, I would like a guided dive, so can anyone recommend a good dive company?
4. Where is the best place to stay? Any hotel or accomodation recommendations?
5. Where is good for food/ beer in the evening :)

Many thanks in advance guys!

Stuart

Hi Stuart!
Yes the diving is great here in Key Largo. There are more dive operators here than gas (petrol) stations here. Many dive sites as well. Most of the diving is 30 ft (10m) beautiful shallow reefs and wrecks: Molasses, French, Elbow, Pickels & Dry Rocks Reefs, and Benwood, City of Washington wrecks. There are also deep wrecks for Advance Open Water Divers: Speigel Grove, & Duane which sit in 130 ft in the sand with most of the wreck/deck around 100ft.
Here is a sticky thread with tons of information:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/362149-florida-keys-guide.html
A
ll of the dive operators can assist you with hotel accommodations. I recommend searching and reading the many threads here on Scubaboard about the FL Keys which discuss dive sites, site conditions, water temps & exposure protection, favorite dive operations, accommodations and eateries.

Each dive op has it's own unique qualities so I recommend contact each directly. Whether you dive with me or one of the other operators (I have friends working at many), we wish you a great dive trip! When you are here, please stop by to say hello :wavey:.

Probably the best recreational diving in the US and plenty of it, especially on Key Largo, including reefs, wrecks, snorkeling and bubble-watching. Dive shops, hotels, motels, restaurants, trinket shops and bars are like weeds, they are everywhere. Many of the shops provide a divemaster for no extra charge. Most diving runs around $70 for a two-dive trip including tanks and weights and they will outfit you with full gear for around $30. Dive sites are too numerous to mention as are the bars, hotels and restaurants but I can guarantee you that you will find what you need in just about any price range. If I was to recommend a particular dive shop it would be a package deal with Rainbow Reef on Key Largo. There are others as well but this is one of my favorites.

We have stayed at and dove with Amy Slate's Amoray in Key Largo - and we've also stayed in Key West and gone diving with Strike Zone. The Key Largo area probably has more pristine reef, but when we dove Big Pine with Strike Zone I felt that there was more variety of peaks and valleys in the reef - just my impression. If you are looking for nightlife then you may want to go to Key West. Key Largo is nice, but there's more to do in non-diving entertainment in Key West - it's definitely more built up for tourism. I don't think you can make a bad decision either way. Anywhere on the Keys will make for great diving and you won't be too far from good food and drinks!

I think that Key Largo has the best diving in the state. Now, I like shallow water diving with lots of hard corals, soft corals and fish. I would say that Key Largo has the healthiest reefs. You can do dives in Key Largo and never hit 30'. If you want to go deeper, there are deeper sites. The Benwood is a really good dive. It is about 45' max. It has large numbers of schooling fish. It is well worth doing.

As to which dive sites are the best, that is a matter of your preferences. You can find descriptions of the popular sites online.

There is a large variety of accomodations and again, there is such a range in personal preference there. The same thing is true with restaurants.

I have gone with Quiesence. They run 6 paks. I have not felt the need for a guided dive. Usually the description of the site is sufficient. Most operators will put a dive master in the water for you for a fee. I like Quiesence because they have some of their own spots that have very little diving.

The keys is a 100+ mile stretch of Keys or islands starting at Key Largo and ending at Key West. The Florida Reef runs the entire length of the Keys and starts around Miami. The entire coastline from Key Largo down is worth a visit and there are many things to do.

You can dive most of the stretch but Key Largo is best known for diving, and Key West for the atmosphere. Marathon has a Dolphin encounter and Bahia Honda has a great beach. There is wonderful charter fishing from top to bottom, and they all have good drinks/bars.

I would recommend Rainbow Reef (mm 100.8) as they offer 1 hour of bottom time (standard) and provide guides at no additional charge. Conch Republic (mm 90.8) is my favorite but they will not guide unless you are willing to pay an up-charge. $50 minimum for one person, $30 for two+ but it's a private guide VS. RR whose guide maybe leading 10 divers.

One thing I like about Conch is they do drift dives when the current dictates. This means the boat follows the divers and no the the other way around.

Most OP's have discounted hotel packages near their Charter. Ask whomever you book with about discounts and multi-day dive discounts.

Links:
Dive Key Largo, Islamorada, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving
Conch Republic Divers

For reef life there is a big mix. Spur & Groove reefs, pillar coral, soft coral, hard coral, brain coral, elk coral, wrecks, sponges, etc., and all home to a huge variety fish life, and invertebrates. Pick your poison IMO its all good.

We love the food at 'The Fish House' (mm 102.4) but the keys are no stranger to great food.

Once you figure things out ask if you need help.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom