Missing diver found off Dania Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here is the text of the linked article. I'm copying it here not to discourage people from clicking through to the article (I always try, because it's "right" and because oftentimes there are interesting comments by local readers), but so that the information is still here in the thread in future when the link will probably lead nowhere.

By Ariel Barkhurst, Sun Sentinel

6:08 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2011
DANIA BEACH—

An experienced scuba diver who went missing in 20 feet of water on Sunday afternoon later was found dead, according to officials.

He was swimming back to the boat with his dive partner, about a mile east of Dania Beach and three miles south of Port Everglades, when he disappeared, said Miami Coast Guard spokeswoman Sabrina Elgammal. He had about 20 years of experience diving, she added.

Helicopters and watercraft from the Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade sheriff's offices searched the waters off Dania Beach, where the man went missing just after 1 p.m., Elgammal said.

The search turned up the man's body later on Sunday, said Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright.

Officials did not release the man's name, but did say he was 62 years old.
An investigation was ongoing Sunday evening, Coleman-Wright said.

I really really need to follow Jenny's excellent example. I have been letting myself go physically over the last five years or more. I have only went from 195-198 to 208 210 but my cardio is way way less than it was. I had to make a 235 yard Felony sprint in the mid day sun the other day and wow was I heated up. Many divers seem to go from Cardiac issues than anything else. Time to strap the ASICS back on and get out my stopwatch.. actually starting over I can use the minute hand.. maybe even the hour hand..

With regards to cardio it is something that can be much less than you would expect and sometimes
the time and place you realize it might be when you need it most. I figure the time to test this would
be at the fitness center and not while diving. If there is reason to believe you shouldn't kick it up a notch
due to some other health issues one should get a check up before a more rigorous workout. These comments
are not in reference to this incident but just my take on the cardio and diving thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom