Andrea Doria Bell Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was just re-reading Gary Gentile's Book "DEEP, DARK, AND DANGEROUS ADVENTURES AND REFLECTIONS ON THE ANDREA DORIA"
And I was reading about John Moyer's search for one of the ships' bell's that had been thought to be in a paint locker.

So my question is this. Is the bell that was found last year the bell that was in the paint locker?

Don't know if it's the paint locker one, but the one found recently was supposedly the bridge or forward bell. Moyer & Gentile recovered the stern bell. I think another bell was also recovered previously, but some think there may be a fourth one somewhere - perhaps that's the paint locker one?

I had no clue that their were so many bell's on that boat all I have ever read about is the two.

Thanks for your help I'll have to do a little more reading!

The Doria stern bell was recovered in an expedition headed by Capt. Bill Nagle. There were others on the team; John Moyer, Gary Gentile, Art Kirchner, Mike Boring and one or two others that I cannot remember, my apologies to those men. I am thinking that Tom Packer or Steve Gatto may be one of them. The primary bell, that would have been in the bow and reportedly stowed in a paint locker during rough crossings, is still being sought. The bell found last year was an auxillary bell (bridge bell) and originally called a crow's nest bell adding to the confusion.

The Doria stern bell was recovered in an expedition headed by Capt. Bill Nagle. There were others on the team; John Moyer, Gary Gentile, Art Kirchner, Mike Boring and one or two others that I cannot remember, my apologies to those men. I am thinking that Tom Packer or Steve Gatto may be one of them. The primary bell, that would have been in the bow and reportedly stowed in a paint locker during rough crossings, is still being sought. The bell found last year was an auxillary bell (bridge bell) and originally called a crow's nest bell adding to the confusion.

That was my recollection too. The primary bell from the bow has still never been recovered.

I know this is an old thread, but large liners such as the Doria and Titanic carried up to 5 bells. Not all the bells from Titanic were engraved neither were the Olympic's. The Doria's sister ship the Cristoforo Colombo had 4 bells. I do not know if the Britannic's or Lustiania's bells have been recovered or photographed.

Pick up "Setting the Hook" by Pete Hunt (posts here as settingthehookPete). It has information on the bell(s) as well as a lot of historical and dive information about the Andrea Doria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom