new diver new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiorano

Registered
Reaction score
So i have been debating over getting which dive computer. So far I have really been a fan of the Suunto D4i from the research I have done on it. I can find some to ship to my house online for under 500 dollars. I did however just stumble across a local ad for a lightly used suunto d6 i can get for 550. So I was just wondering what other people thought about these two purchases or if anyone could suggest some other comparable computers of a similar style. Thanks for the help anyone!

It would help if you listed the features that you are interested in (wrist/console, air integrated, computer downloadable, etc). For the price, the Suunto Zoop is hard to beat, but I'm not sure if you can use it with the older Suunto software (their newest version so far is totally crippled). If it's wrist mounted you're after, plan on getting a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount. For the record I've had great luck with used dive computers so I'm never afraid to go that route.

o well i definitly like the wrist mounted watch style. air integrated seems a little redundant to me because of the console mounted pressure gauge. downloadable would be nice i think but not totally necessary. thanks for the input! how does the d4i compare to the oceanic geo 2.0 if anyone knows as well. that one looked intriguing to me as well

suunto is a bit more conservative, but you can add conservative factors to your geo 2.0

the d4i is extremely similar in features to the geo 2.0 as are many dive computers in that range. the menus, seem a bit easier to navigate/figure out on the suuntos and the display on a d4i absolutely kills the geo2.0.. the geo 2.0 is using calculator number like blocks to try to display and spell things, d4i is tons of little dots so its much 'prettier' and IMO easier to read.

i own the geo 2.0.. its a good computer, nothing much to complain about. Played with someones d4i and loved it, but my geo was way cheaper so...

if you want a cheap watch-style computer that does nitrox, etc then geo 2.0 is probably what you want. if you've got more money the suunto d-series are very nice. People talk about the conservativeness of the com, but i know tons of people that use them. Here in asia its almost the only thing anyone uses..

I was at the same crossroads as you...a bnew d6 vs. a bnew d4i. side by side. chart by chart.. advantage of d6 is the compass... but at a cost difference. no air integration. in the future i plan to buy the transmitter...

other than that.. program is about the same. d6 looks good though.

does anyone have any info on the quality of the tuso iq 950? this computer seems to have plenty of functions however im not sure about the long lasting quality etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom