Marking Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to mark my gear so it doesn't get lost/misplaced (includes BCD, Reg set, Drysuit, Camera Case, Fins, Boots/Hoot/Gloves, steel tank). I want something permanent (or at least long-lasting). I'm wondering about the products.

Can any of these products harm your gear? What information do you put on the markings (e.g., name, number, etc.)?

Are Sharpie's bad to put on gear? I've heard of people using a silver-colored Sharpie. Do they wash off?

There's also the Brite Mark Permanent Underwater Marking Pen.

I've also heard of using some sort of paint pen.

Lastly, I'm wondering how you mark your reg set without compromising anything safety-wise (not a lot of space). Also, how do you mark the rest of your gear as well, while you're at it (including the Camera Case and Steel Tank).

Here is what I use:

Sharpie Permanent Paint Marker, Medium Point, Yellow #SAN34905

they last about a year and can still be read after that... I just went over my name again today.

On my reg I have written my name on the black plastic of the second stage, my fins are marked across the blade, my mask is on the plastic side buckles, my computer is marked on the plastic sides with my name and home phone.

You're also documenting Serial Numbers, etc. where applicable, correct?

I use a paint marker which may be similar to the Sharpie mentioned above. The one I use is Brite-Mark made by Dykem and has a white/silvery color. This may be the one you reference. I use this mostly on fabric like BCDs but could be used on plastic. However I use a black Sharpie permanant marker on fins and other non-black items. Mostly I use my name or initials.

These work well, has not damaged any gear and does not wash off. It does fade over time so a re-application may necessary.
I did not mark my reg but I do have all the paperwork w/ S/Ns. I keep it close to me. I have not tried to mark my tanks but I know that the stickers from dive shops stay on fairly well. Would be a pain to have custom stickers made. You could try the marking pens at least on any current stickers. The markings from hydros, and manufacturers, etc might be sufficient for identification.

When I travel I keep also card with contact info in the bags, camera cases,etc.

All these markings and cards are generally for honest people but might allow identification if it goes missing/stolen and someone can recognize it. Might discourage someone from taking it but they can write over it or scrape it off plastic it if they want. Better than nothing tho. Best thing is to keep an eye on your gear.

Paint markers and colorful liquid rubberized goo that the LDS usually sell. I don't know what it's called top of my head, but it comes in a squeeze bottle and you use it to hand paint your gears. Leave it a day or two to dry (depending on how hot & dry your environment is) and it generally lasts a while. The goo sticks to various surfaces better than others. Doesn't stick to fins well, nor nylon boat parkas but sticks really well to wetsuit, mask carriers, dry boxes.

As far as regulators & computers go, initial your name with paint marker and call it a day. Or do like I do and use colorful hoses.

Top to bottom: paint marker, rubberized goo, colored hoses and stickers on tanks & backplate.

PaintedFins.jpg

SBIPVDEC200901.jpg

LuckyPeakReservoirBoise011.jpg

BMWM6006.jpg

28FEB09Dive027.jpg

I chose to use colored zip ties (cable ties) and place them in strategic locations. Most of my dive trips are booked through my local LDS and often many of the divers have similar equipment. I'm less concerned with theft as I am with having boat crew mix up my stuff with someone else.

Black and silver Sharpies have worked well for me. The only trouble I've had is with the silver wearing off of black, rubberized surfaces after a while. That's easy enough to freshen up, though.

Paint markers and colorful liquid rubberized goo that the LDS usually sell. I don't know what it's called top of my head, but it comes in a squeeze bottle and you use it to hand paint your gears. Leave it a day or two to dry (depending on how hot & dry your environment is) and it generally lasts a while. The goo sticks to various surfaces better than others. Doesn't stick to fins well, nor nylon boat parkas but sticks really well to wetsuit, mask carriers, dry boxes...

You might be thinking of Trident U-Mark It Gear Marking Paint. The stuff is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom