Marking Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTF

Coney Island Whitefish Biologist
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What strobes do people like these days? I'm talking big bright strobes for marking locations or ascent lines on deep, dark, low-viz dives - not little flashers to put on your tank. Is there a sweetheart brand that everyone likes? Are the $300 options really three times better than the $100 options?

I'm also curious to hear the hivemind's thoughts on xenon flash tube strobes vs. LED. In my experience the xenon tubes are still SIGNIFICANTLY brighter, but perhaps more delicate.

The crew on the boat I do wreck dives with off of NJ all use TekTites for marking the anchor lines. For the cost they really put out a lot of light:

The crew on the boat I do wreck dives with off of NJ all use TekTites for marking the anchor lines. For the cost they really put out a lot of light:

Which boats do you dive from? I have seen LM or Trojan.

I've used the xDeep S2 strobe for the last couple years. It isn't as bright as the LM or Trojan but brighter than the large Tektite ones. The strobe is much more expensive than when I purchased it when I just checked to find the correct terminology for it not flashing the same consistent frequency. It stands out from the others pretty well. It uses a 26650 rechargable battery. I've clipped it off and forgotten it was on a shoulder d-ring until needed and able to be stowed back easily as well. As long as you have it on you and use it, they all work.

Reactions: OTF
I upgraded from the Tektite strobe to a Light Monkey one but a lot of the people I dive with have switched to the Trojan ones.

I find the fancier ones to be brighter than the Tektite strobes but certainly not a necessity.

I’ll chime in for the Big Blue 1300. Aluminum body, rechargeable, and the switch is much better than the Tek Tite twist to turn on/off.

I also use the Big Blue AL1300. Thing is almost blindingly bright, super well made cnc aluminum housing, 12 hour burn time, batt level indicator light and uses a single 18650 battery which most of us all have. I keep mine rigged with a bolt snap for D-ring attachment and also a SS Tuna clip for anchor line attachment. Totally agree on the button vs twist on/off.

nUufaxS.jpg

I've got a Shark brand one I'm very happy with. Bright enough to be visible, comes with battery and charger. Not as expensive as some others, which helps too. I just added 20cm bungee as a loop with a bolt snap on from my spares cupboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom