Can your jacket do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*dave*

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is a quick clip of a try scuba I recently conducted for an exceptionally robust gentleman interested in becoming certified.

We certainly had no jacket that would fit, but I told him to come in the next day and we'd spend some time getting him fitted for a BP/W. Since the only rigs of this type I've ever seen in our shop belong to me, I set about replacing the webbing on my singles rig. In the end, I put him on a steel 130 with a 15# weight belt and also put a buckle on the left shoulder.

I'm 5'10" and 170#, he's 6'2 and has to be flirting with 400#. My weight has fluctuated over the years by 20# and I use a varied combination of drysuit undergaments and drysuits throughout the year, but the harness always fits like it was made for me.

Haleamano, are you listening?

*dave*

Your reading comprehension needs work, unless it's a memory issue; maybe little this, little that? :kiss2:

With regards to BC's, my oft stated opinions are that:

the vast majority of World Wide dives are successfully completed in vest BC's

there is no test data on "drag" differences between modern BC's

there is no test data on "ease of venting" differences between modern BC's

Other than that I have also typed about my BC experiences and hypothesized on the drag and venting issues.

Hello Halemano,

Are you saying that a BP/W is no better then BCD? I dive still with my first BCD, almost 1000 dives now and am satisfied with it. But often I hear from my diving friends that's it's time to buy a wing. That it dives so much better.

Could we please give it a rest? It gets tiresome. Too tiresome.

I don't give a rat's ass about which BC is better. It's what the diver does with the BC and not with the BC does for the diver. The BC is a tool, no more no less.

My preference is a BPW or a Dive Rite Transpac, but earlier this year I had to rent a jacket BC, weight belt, regulator/SPG. My trim was fine and my buoyancy was fine.

As far as a BPW is more adjustable, of that there's no doubt...except for a too short person or too tall person who may need a smaller or bigger plate. So, BPW ain't all that modular either.

I have no interest in joining the pissing contest. I'm only chiming in the point out that your mama should have taught you not to use words you don't understand. :)

Robust means 'strong, healthy, vigorous'. Clearly not the case. Perhaps you meant 'rotund'?

I have no interest in joining the pissing contest. I'm only chiming in the point out that your mama should have taught you not to use words you don't understand. :)

Robust means 'strong, healthy, vigorous'. Clearly not the case. Perhaps you meant 'rotund'?
Trust me, he's strong and his doctor says he's healthy. Vigorous is relative. But, I appreciate the contribution. :)

The wing is taco-ing severely. The wing is either way too big, or he is over weighted about about half the lift capacity of the wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom