Corrosion on first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jxh2297

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bought a mk25 first stage off of eBay and it looked brand new well I got it and it has some green hard buildup in spots on the exterior, any tricks to get it off? And I am getting it serviced by my dealer next week.

you could try to put it in some water and scrub it off. But I dont really know. My tanks 1st stage developed some corrosion and I rubbed it right off (wasnt easy though)

Soak it for a few minutes in white vinegar, then wash it in hot, soapy water and rinse.

If you are going to have it serviced, the tech should take care of it. Inside is a bit more concern and it is probably not something you want to deal with unless you are ready to cross over to the dark side.

As awap said, it should come back clean from the service.

Otherwise, seal it up and give it a long soak in a diluted vinegar solution. Then give it a scrub (non-abrasive pad) with Simple Green. Finally, soak in clean water.

White vinegar in a sonic clearer (if you have access to one) is great.

The vinegar bath got slot of it off, thanks. Going to leave the rest up to the dealer

The vinegar bath got slot of it off, thanks. Going to leave the rest up to the dealer

Make sure you tell the dealer what you did. Service of a Scubapro reg does not usually only replaces all of the o-ring. Unfortunately, some o-rings may be degraded by an acid soak so yours may be better off with all o-rings replaced. Long acid baths are also liable to attack the chrome finish which can cause sealing problems due to flaking chrome.

After the vinegar bath, a dunk for a few minutes in water with baking soda is a good idea to neutralize the acid. Then the final rinse.

I do want to point out that the verdigris will most likely return intermittently. You could try clear nail polish or a dielectric compound to slow/prevent it. I think Tribolube makes one called EPO2, but I've never tried it. However, mild verdigris is really not that big of a bother on the external surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom