See, its good to have a SMB in the open ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDiverJim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
"We could see two divers with all their equipment and an inflated red tube," the yacht's capitan Elie Trichet told the Herald.

Two divers left at sea in Miami while scuba diving from a cattle boat.

I just bought two of them last weekend, my girlfriend and I will be wearing them on our dive trips in Maui.
I'll even clip it on me when snorkeling off Kaanapali beach.

However it's orange with it a tint of red...

I joked at the store that it stood for Small, Medium, Big !

Always, always have mine. Thinking about a second larger yellow one. Yellow is supposedly easier to spot from the air.

Always, always have mine. Thinking about a second larger yellow one. Yellow is supposedly easier to spot from the air.

In some areas yellow means you're having a problem at the bottom of the string. People may check it for a slate and finding nothing maybe jump in to help you. Check local standards.

In some areas yellow means you're having a problem at the bottom of the string. People may check it for a slate and finding nothing maybe jump in to help you. Check local standards.

I've heard that before. Anyone have any idea where this is the practice? I have yet to find any details on this and am starting to wonder if this is another mask on forehead urban legend.

I figure if you have a yellow SMB and people jump in, then the SMB has done its job, whether you're having a problem or not. In the case of this example, it most definitely has done its job as the divers in question were left behind. Anyone who has a beef with my SMB color choice can kiss my ass if I'm "lost" at sea. That said, my SMB is dual color, one yellow side, one orange side.

I've heard various standards. I don't think it matters. I do not use them except if I need spotting, or I am spear fishing and I want a fish retrieved at the surface. In any case yellow, orange, purple, I want the flag to attract attention. If it does it is doing its job.

As I understand it the practice of using red, yellow and even green SBS is more a tec and Euro skill set. I am sure I am getting this wrong but if my rather limited memory serves me correctly is goes something like this. Red up means beginning ascent to the top, green is at o2 deco. And yellow is emergency/issue and there will be a slate with info attached stating the nature of the incident and what is needed to remedy it. Everywhere is different and you need to know what is "standard" where you will be diving. Also remember that there are two sorts of SMB's out there. Those that can be shot from the sand and have an OPV on them, and those that are meant to be inflated on the deck and will rupture if shot from depth with to much air in it. A limp sausage does no one any good!

I've carried one since my first dive trip, including practice dives in New Mexico. Hard to imagine any diver going to sea without one, but I knew a couple who left theirs in their dive bag on the boat when they go lost for over an hour off of Bonaire. :shocked2:

I have one of the large ones with dual colors, red and yellow. I simply would not dive without it. It is attached to my BC - always, even when I am diving in the front yard of cocoview. I am not sure I can come up with a realistic reason I might need it there but it is simply part of my kit. Likewise a dive light, cutting tool, sound alert and mirror. They don't take up much space and I just don't even notice them anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom