Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTheGalapagos

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I have 3-4 days between DEMA and my flight to Ecuador and was hoping someone could give me some direction on snorkeling with manatees. From what I can tell, no point diving. Would love to rent a car and spend a few days relaxing and definitely seeing manatees. Where is best to go and who to go with? Any help most appreciated.

Why no point diving?

You can dive at Hospital Hole or Three Sisters on the west coast pretty easily. If the water is cold enough, there will be manatees to play with there.

On the east coast, I believe they're primarily out during the summer months. But I could be wrong

DEMA is in Orlando. You are not too far from Crystal River (maybe 2 hours), the most reliable place to see manatees. November is a little early but it is certainly possible.

Contact Birds Underwater in Crystal River, they are by far the best manatee operator in the area. I have no affiliation except 10 years of great experiences with them.

By the way, scuba diving is not permitted with the manatees so you are correct that snorkelling is the way to go. It is also the best way to see them because they stay on the surface, mainly, and scuba bubbles disturb them.

I did a manatee snorkle followed by a scuba dive of Kings Cavern and the Rainbow River with American Pro last winter. They also conduct snorkle-only outings. Winter is normally the best time to see manatees as they escape the cold ocean water to find the spring fed rivers.

Snorkel Manatee Tours here in crystal river

Hi Guys. I have 3-4 days between DEMA and my flight to Ecuador and was hoping someone could give me some direction on snorkeling with manatees. From what I can tell, no point diving. Would love to rent a car and spend a few days relaxing and definitely seeing manatees. Where is best to go and who to go with? Any help most appreciated.

You are not too far from Jupiter either

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom