winter months!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
I suppose this has been discussed before, and probably isn't much of an issue for those down South, BUT

What do you do during the winter months when you can't dive?

I dive in the Midwest and the dive sites are beginning to close. I think this weekend is going to be my last dive until Spring. I think that either I'm going to go crazy from not being able to scuba, or I'll have to fly somewhere warm to get wet!

Personally, I dive all year round. I use a drysuit and argon.

I'm seriously considering an ice diving course on the St. Lawrence.

There's no reason to stop if you can find water.

I'm going to work on my Dive Con course - not the same as getting wet but it will have to do.

Becky

hantzu701 once bubbled... I suppose this has been discussed before, and probably isn't much of an issue for those down South, BUT

What do you do during the winter months when you can't dive?

I dive in the Midwest and the dive sites are beginning to close. I think this weekend is going to be my last dive until Spring. I think that either I'm going to go crazy from not being able to scuba, or I'll have to fly somewhere warm to get wet!
I intend to run dive trips out of Norfolk whenever I can get divers and the weather to cooperate. Winter is normally our best visability.

When it gets a little colder, I'll bring argon for drysuit flushing. I'm also trying to figure out an elegant way to put hot water in a wetsuit.

There's a powerplant cooling lake in West Virginia, at Mount Storm that many go to in the colder months. I did a wetsuit dive there with snow on the ground. Perhaps you can find something like that near you.

I also dive the aquariums at the Virginia Marine Science Museum. That's year-round.

I'm planning the ice dive specialty in january-february. Otherwise I will go to the regular dive spots where the ice very rarely settles (so I've heard).

I am in the Chicago area too and I plan to drive down to Bonne Terre a couple times for weekends trips (about a 6 hour drive from Chicago) as well as fly somewhere tropical at least once, if not twice, during the winter months!

What's that? I'm going diving.

BTW, Cayman Airways is starting non-stop service to Chicago with very good introductory fares.

Drew,
Thanks for that info...I just checked out their website and I am seriously considering booking a ticket for the first of February!

I go ice diving, so my diving never really stops it just kinda slows down.

Around here, when you dive somewhat deep (100' or so) the water is about 40f-42f anyway. Winter just makes the water a little harder to get to, but honestly not a whole heck of a lot colder. It's actually a few degrees cooler in the shallow water due to the proximity of the ice - it makes the water colder near the ice and it actually gets a few degrees warmer as you get away from it.

The only reason we don't ice dive every weekend is because cutting the hole, running the ropes, etc gets to be kind of a pain.

If you haven't taken the ice specialty, I highly recommend it. It's one of those specialties that actually GETS you something - it enables you to modify your diving to get more out of it, unlike some of the dumber specialties.

If you live in a seasonal locale, try a winter sport! I love snowboarding just as much as diving and can hardly concentrate on planning a New Years dive trip to the Caribbean because I want to get on the mountain so bad.

The beauty of combining diving with a winter sport is that the seasons dovetail almost perfectly. By the end of dive season, you are jonesing to get on the slopes so bad you can hardly stand it. Similarly, by the end of winter, you want to dive so bad you can taste it..

Back
Top Bottom