Planning trip to Truk next year- Odyssey or Thorfinn ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divergal65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We went to Truk about 8 years ago and dove the Thorfinn. I had read the Thorfinn had a bit of trouble a while back but is back in operation. While the ability to sometimes be the only divers on a wreck (plus the guide) the trips by skiff seem a bit more inconvenient than taking a big step off a platform ( as well as the return). A minor quibble but after reading about the Odyssey, it sounds like a truly outstanding operation. Has anyone here dove with both that can give a good comparison?

We're (husband and I) both AOW, but the last time we went we dove mostly the shallower wrecks (Fujikawa, Shinkoku,Betty Bomber,Sankisan, etc - usually no more than 100', though we did go to the engine room of the Fujikawa to visit R2D2) and usually didn't do the deeper wrecks, though we dove on the deck of the Aikoku, but didn't go to the deeper holds.
We're still not keen on diving the deeper wrecks, so we're also wondering if this would be a problem on the Odyssey - we wouldn't want to be a hindrance to those who want the deeper wrecks. That's why we initially chose the Thorfinn because there was always a choice for those who felt unprepared for deeper wrecks.

Last edited:
This isn't even a contest in my book. Thorfinn is cheaper and I have heard bad and good things about it though to be honest mostly bad. The Odyssey is consistently rated in the top five liveaboards in the world. Getting off and on a dive platform directly over a wreck seems easier than getting on and off a small boat after a ride to the dive site. Cameras are safer carrying them up to a mother ship that bouncing them around on a small boat. You get what you pay for.
As far as deep wrecks go, my wife and I are not really into that either which is why we signed up for the week of 25 March on the Odyssey with Matt Reed (Matt Reed <matt.reed@evolution.com.ph> ). That week is designated as a Rec week with most if not all of the dives on the shallow wrecks, the week of 1 Apr is a Tec week with deep wrecks, rebreathers and such. Wow this is your second trip. This is our first and we are more than excited.

Before our first trip to Truk, I wasn't into wrecks at all, preferring shallower dives around reefs. But after that trip I completely changed my mind! Truk diving is now the standard I use to compare nearly all other warm water dive trips. We prefer the shallower wrecks because there is much more coral and marine growth, but there is the added excitement of being able to penetrate these historical wrecks and see all the interesting artifacts. Add in the warm water where the temps were between 83 and 85 , little to no current and vis typically up to 100' and its a true diving paradise.
However, as you mentioned, the accommodations aboard the Thorfinn left alot to be desired. When we went the fresh water supply ran low mid week, and the food was barely edible. Capt. Higgs is a quite colourful character, and his knowledge of the wrecks is immense. But we found the service to be lacking and the rooms definitely needed an upgrade.
But back to the diving - you have every reason to look forward to it because it definitely changed my opinion of wreck diving - that's why I want to return so badly!

You pretty much confirmed what I had heard/read about the Thorfinn.

Trush and I are both into photography so we are really looking forward to the corals on the shallower wrecks. Being a retired Torpedoman I am looking forward to the Torpedo Wreck. My Dad actually took part in the attack on Truk. Counting Down.

Being a retired Torpedoman I am looking forward to the Torpedo Wreck. My Dad actually took part in the attack on Truk. Counting Down.

You must be talking about the Gosei Maru? Yes, another pretty shallow wreck. In the 70's many of the torpedoes were becoming unstable and actually exploded, so for safety sake , most of them were removed or destroyed. But many of the parts still remain and you can clearly see the contra rotating propellers on them. The wreck itself is very easy to spot from the surface. Its covered in marine growth and was a favorite of ours.
Another interesting wreck was the Yamagiri - it contained the 18" shells for the Yamato battleship. Those shells are HUGE! There is also another more sobering sight of the skull of a sailor embedded into the superstructure that is a must see.

Have been on Thorfinn couple of time.
Captain Higgs is abrasive but it didn't bother anyone of us.
The skiff is very not easy to climb back if the sea is choppy.
The food is just adequate and some of the rooms are just pigeon-hole size. No where to sit except on bed.
Diving is phenomenal from the deep wreck to the shallow. Love to dive those outside the lagoon if helium is cheaper.
Give me Thorfinn anytime.

I've been on the Odyssey twice, June 2010 & February 2011. I rate every live-a-board by their standards and there is no comparison. Great food, great cabins and great dive set-up. Had Captain JJ both times and he was outstanding. The diving at Truk is diving at Truk. The ships are the same from either boat but the Odyssey sure makes it easy and comfortable. I'm a photographer and the crew was so helpful getting my rig in and out of the water.

Dave

@Chief Dave L
Did you dive some of the deeper wrecks like the San Francisco and Aikoku Maru? Were the relative levels of the divers about the same ? Also, did you stay over a wreck for enough time to get in a couple dives or did it move slower/faster?
The reason I ask is that on the Thorfinn, it stays stationary nearly the whole time and you could get a choice of diving shallower or deeper wrecks each time because of their skiff system, though when we went the choices were somewhat limited - another group was on board and they more or less controlled which wrecks we dove. we were lucky that we stayed on most of the shallower dives because deep penetration dives is not our forte, though I'd like to train to get to that stage eventually. We 're going for nitrox training next to maximize our time on the wrecks - it seems like this is the way to go for Truk.

@Chief Dave L
Did you dive some of the deeper wrecks like the San Francisco and Aikoku Maru? Were the relative levels of the divers about the same ? Also, did you stay over a wreck for enough time to get in a couple dives or did it move slower/faster?
The reason I ask is that on the Thorfinn, it stays stationary nearly the whole time and you could get a choice of diving shallower or deeper wrecks each time because of their skiff system, though when we went the choices were somewhat limited - another group was on board and they more or less controlled which wrecks we dove. we were lucky that we stayed on most of the shallower dives because deep penetration dives is not our forte, though I'd like to train to get to that stage eventually. We 're going for nitrox training next to maximize our time on the wrecks - it seems like this is the way to go for Truk.

We did dive the San Francisco both trips, but it was the last dive of the trip so that everyone had time to prepare for the dive. It was extremely well organized and controlled for the less experienced divers. It was an optional dive, if you wished they would take you in a skiff to another site in lieu of the San Francisco. Virtually all of the dives were two dives per wreck. There were exceptions here and there. They plan 5 dives a day. Usually two in the am, two in the pm and one night dive. The last pm dive was always the spot of the night dive. The boat usually moves while having breakfast and lunch. They start the week with the shallower dives and work a little deeper as the week progresses. You are free to dive the wrecks at your own pace and with a guide each time if you wish. If you want to penetrate all the way, they have guides that will take you or you can do it on your own. The point is that you can dive the wrecks any way that you wish. You don't have to penetrate or you can just penetrate the upper bridge area or open holds, with or without a guide. I agree about the nitrox training - it seems made for Truk. Best of luck, I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.

Dave

Another vote for the Odyssey. It is (as I pointed in this review, and this one) simply the finest liveaboard in the world. I also went when JJ was Captaining (I think he does January - June) - his wife, Kim, may be the single most accomplished diver I have ever seen.

Don't worry too much about the depths. When I did it, I went with my Dad who is 73, and he was nervous about tackling the deep wrecks, so we stayed shallower. There is plenty to do above 100 feet. On the one wreck where that is not really possible (the San Francisco Maru), they run an alternative dive for divers who are not comfortable.

I can't say anything negative about the Thorfinn, as I have never been on it. But I understand that it doesn't actually move now - it is just a floating hotel from which they launch the skiffs. But even it is very, very good - it is still not as good as the Odyssey.

Back
Top Bottom