Can anyone recommend the heaviest back plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to get lead off my belt for dry suit dives. Does anyone has recommendations like heaviest possible bp etc???

Thanks -

Sinbad

DSS plate with bolt on weight plates is (at least) 13#. FredT made/makes some pretty heavy ones as well.

What he said.

...Actually, I have a FredT heavy plate that I used to use. It's in the closet now, I am delighted as punch with my DSS weight plates. Just be aware the DSS weight plates only work with singles, if you need to add weight for dubs then use a v-weight.

All the best, James

So this is not a back plate but something you bolt on to your back plate? I have an DiveRight Alimunium, this will get bolted on to it right?

No. Works with DSS plates only.

Why don't you just switch to a normal SS plate to start with? That'd already gain you another 4# over your AL plate.

Yes. That is what I intend to do. Keep my AL plate for tropical travel and buy the heaviest possible steel plate for cold water drysuit. I am debating whether to get a steel plate or a steel tank.

I use a steel tank, steel DSS backplate and DSS steel weight plates for my drysuit diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dive a Dive Rite AL plate with an Oxycheq weighted STA which puts my B/P at about 8lbs. I have the DR QLR 16lb weight pockets mounted vertical on my waist belt and I put 5 lbs in each side; I Use a Steel tank. This config is using my drysuit.

When I dive doubles...the weighted STA is too much weight, as would be an SS plate.I can easily lose 6 lbs and dive the AL plate as it is.

When I travel I remove the STA and put in my reg bag that I carry on...which has my computer, magazines, etc. When diving tropical..that is all the weight I need....works beautifully. One plate..one rig, dont have to switch anything over...well, except for the wing...which really is just too easy.:eyebrow:

AL plates ...can be very versatile.

Thats how I do it.

I dive a Dive Rite AL plate with an Oxycheq weighted STA which puts my B/P at about 8lbs. I have the DR QLR 16lb weight pockets mounted vertical on my waist belt and I put 5 lbs in each side; I Use a Steel tank. This config is using my drysuit.

When I dive doubles...the weighted STA is too much weight, as would be an SS plate.I can easily lose 6 lbs and dive the AL plate as it is.

When I travel I remove the STA and put in my reg bag that I carry on...which has my computer, magazines, etc. When diving tropical..that is all the weight I need....works beautifully. One plate..one rig, dont have to switch anything over...well, except for the wing...which really is just too easy.:eyebrow:

AL plates ...can be very versatile.

Thats how I do it.

Thanks man! This oxycheq sta will allow my same backplate to be the weight of a steel bp. Its pretty cheap too. This helps a lot. Worth giving a try.

From a cost standpoint, just get the best price on any stainless plate and bolt lead to it. There is only a pound or two difference between any of them and Stainless is way more expensive per pound than lead.

You have about 1¼" between 7¼" diameter doubles with a standard 215mm manifold. Get a piece of thin wall 1x3 or 4" aluminum tubing, figure out how much weight you want to shift, and fill a piece with lead. That will bolt to the plate between the bands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom