Soaking regs unpressurised... oops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bravecat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I did a stupid thing after a dive, and soaked my Scubapro 2nd stage and octo in fresh water unpressurised. While the adjustment knobs were set full on (anti-clockwise). After soaking I just hanged the regs to dry and then packed and stored them. Now I read that I shouldn't have done the soaking with the knobs open that as water could have entered the 2nd stage and hose. What do I do?? (Starting to panic a bit).

As long as the purge button was not pushed while soaking, there shouldn't be an issue, they are submerged in water when in use anyway. & for the first stage, as long as the dust cap is secure, that shouldn't be an issue either. I rinse mine (MK25/S600) by dunking or garden hose all the time (mostly teaching) with the adjustment knobs open & there have been no problems. If you suspect any issues, have it looked at by an authorized dealer.

Thanks! I have the same regs by the way. I wouldn't dunk the 1st stage with just a dust cap on though, it's not watertight. My 1st stage has a DIN connection - any tips on how to properly clean the regs after use? I heard so many versions my head is starting to spin! Some say dunk, some say don't, some say only clean while pressurised, some say remove the dust cap, close the opening with finger and dunk, others suggest cleaning the threads with greasy cloth???

I dunk/soak mine.

As tstormdiver says, you can leave the hoses/second-stages submerged without problem, providing the purge valve/s aren't depressed. First stages only get a good rinse (not a soak) as water can leak through the valve cap.

i would think that no matter what.... the min you can do ,if nothing more than for some piece of mind, is to put the reg on a tank and hold the purge. any water in the line will blow out. if water comes out it is now dry if no water perhaps nothing to be concerned about to start with. i would not soak the reg, only rinse it off wth a dunking or 2 with my finger over the din connection opening.

I think that's covered on the padi open water book on the equipment section, as long you don't press they purge button it is fine...

Thanks! I have the same regs by the way.
I have 9 of them (2 recreational (Yoke style) & 7 technical regs (DIN)).
I wouldn't dunk the 1st stage with just a dust cap on though, it's not watertight. My 1st stage has a DIN connection - any tips on how to properly clean the regs after use?
My recreational regs, I do not mind to do a quick dunk of the 1st stage, with the dust caps on. My technical regs, I do as mentioned about putting a finer over the DIN orifice & dunk. To be honest 95% of my diving is in freshwater springs, quarries & pools, so a quick rinse is all I usually need. If I need to do more I will quick dunk them, if that is all that is available & when I get home use a hose to better clean them up.
I heard so many versions my head is starting to spin! Some say dunk, some say don't, some say only clean while pressurised, some say remove the dust cap, close the opening with finger and dunk, others suggest cleaning the threads with greasy cloth???
As for cleaning the threads, I just take a damp coth & wipe it off & then apply some Christolube to the threads, if needed for less friction.

I dive exclusively in sea water. I regularly soak my regs after diving (both 1st and 2nd stages) unpressurised with dust caps on, in warm water for at least an hour. This is in line with what Apeks prescribes. I do this for all regs (sealed and not). Never had any problems. If I suspect that a purge button has been pressed then I would attach it on a tank and fully purge the button for several seconds.
I wouldn't worry too much for a few drops of water entering the first stage, provided I do the above mentioned purging soon. The only issue I once had, was letting some water / moisture in a 2nd stage hose for quite some time : It smelled bad !! I had to take it apart and thoroughly clean it with dettol or something of that kind to get the smell out.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom