In Seattle in Jan. Good time for diving? Anyone want to meet up maybe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in Seattle in January for work and I was wondering about getting some diving in if possible. I'm from SF area of California, so I'm doing my fare share of cold water diving, but I'm not sure of the dive conditions in WA in January. Suggestions?

Water temperatures will be in the high 40's. If it is not stormy, the water will be fairly calm. Visibility varies wildly in the wintertime -- if we have had a whole series of storms, the vis will be poor due to particulate runoff from the rivers. If it hasn't rained recently, winter viz can be quite good.

We are very fortunate here. We CAN dive (and shore dive, to boot) almost any day that the weather isn't so foul that you just wouldn't want to (and sometimes on those days, too -- she says, remembering coming back in on a Bandito charter in 40 mph winds and snow). It's just that sometimes you can't see very much :)

Let us know closer to the time that you are coming, and I'm sure you can scare up some dive buddies who would be happy to show you some of our sites. You can't miss diving a place that's a stone's throw from the center of downtown, and full of Giant Pacific octopuses!

I figured things would be similar to Monterey. My only concern was the temp. I've got my own semi-dry, but I don't think I'd want to bring it with me and deal with cleaning it. How are the LDS with semi- or full dry suit rentals? I looked up the local dive spots and I was surprised how many are so close to town. Looks like it'll be a breeze to find a spot.

Well, I don't know about all the shops, but the one Peter teaches for does rent DUI suits and undergarments. It isn't cheap -- I think it's $60 a day. Another dive shop I know of has suits, but I wouldn't recommend renting them. I don't know what rental policies are, but I know that when I needed to rent a suit in SoCal, I had to present a dry suit specialty card to get it (which, since I certified in a dry suit, I didn't have . . . which is how Peter ended up renting a lady's small suit :) )

Tacoma Scuba also rents drysuits ... ain't cheap, and you'll need a drysuit C-card to rent one anywhere.

Drop me a line when you're getting close to your trip dates ... if I ain't busy, I'll go diving with ya ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I could possibly bring my semi-dry with me, but I don't know if I want to deal with the hassle. I should have my drysuit cert by January as well. And it's looking like I'll be up there 1st half of Jan.

So I'll be in Seattle from Jan 10th thru the 22nd. I'll be there for work, so weekdays I'll be available for some night diving, and the 14th and 15th I'll be good for both day and night dives.

What are your dimensions? I have a spare dry suit that I don't use any more, and would be happy to loan it to you.

Where in Seattle are you going to be? There are standing dives, Monday at Mukilteo (north of Seattle), every other Tuesday Moss Bay at Cove 2; DIR Tweaks on Wednesday night (everyone welcome), a Thursday daytime south end dive. I am off the whole time you are here, so I should be able to meet you for at least one or two dives. We also have a spare drysuit you might be able to borrow, depending on sizing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom