Harness comparisons: elite, elite 2, and transplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ranchonodinero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to build a BP wing and am considering the Hollis Elite (last years model) and Elite 2. What are the major differences? Enough to justify spending the additional money to get the current model? How do the elites compare to the transplate?

Thanks,

Finally I get to say this first! Is there any reason you are looking for the "deluxe" style harness instead of a basic HOG harness? I would purchase a basic HOG harness for under $50 and give that a shot, if you don't like the HOG harness you are out well much less than $50 because the parts of the harness can be used for other purposes (a length of the webbing and the buckle and you have a weight belt, you can always find uses for the d-rings and tri glides later). If you purchase a deluxe style harness now and then switch to the HOG harness later you will be out a lot more money. I started off with an IST deluxe harness and now dive a HOG harness, I can't give away the deluxe harness(I'm serious here I have offered several times to send it for the price of shipping and no one has taken me up on the offer yet).

I dive a transplate as my current cold water drysuit rig....

I changed from a simple harness because I wanted the buckles which make it easier for me to get out of when I am fully "under garmented" after a dive in 34 degree water....which works for me....

I did remove the chest strap as it interfered with the drysuit inflator.....

I do prefer it to my prior rig, the padded shoulder straps are a bit more comfortable when doing shore dives and walking down to the lake/river.....

M

I like the "Elite" over the basic Hog harness , as said the buckles are easy for release & the chest straps are a must for Athletic or guys with a wide chest. The Elite is on sale $57 right now. The Elite II has 1 more D-ring. But for the savings I can add my own ring. I know a lot of people love the Transplate , its a great peice. But I went with SS B/P to center the weight a little more. By the way if your doing cold water check out "Hammerhead" they have a very cool coldwater B/P STA deal (11-12l.bs total) at a reasonable price.I've seen some great deals on wings for black Friday as well.

Gmanstan, thanks for the great response! The elite is hard to beat pricewise, but I found a transplate at a very very good price-who would a though New Egg would carry harnesses. I am going to couple it with an oxycheq Mach V. Next is to decide on an inflator / second as the one that is on my Aeris apparently won't work.

Last edited:
Finally I get to say this first! Is there any reason you are looking for the "deluxe" style harness instead of a basic HOG harness? I would purchase a basic HOG harness for under $50 and give that a shot, if you don't like the HOG harness you are out well much less than $50 because the parts of the harness can be used for other purposes (a length of the webbing and the buckle and you have a weight belt, you can always find uses for the d-rings and tri glides later). If you purchase a deluxe style harness now and then switch to the HOG harness later you will be out a lot more money. I started off with an IST deluxe harness and now dive a HOG harness, I can't give away the deluxe harness(I'm serious here I have offered several times to send it for the price of shipping and no one has taken me up on the offer yet).

I will take you up on that offer if it is still available.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom