Jupiter Tigershark 11-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
O man it was crazy the other day on the Emerald! 5 minutes into our third dive, my group of three were buzzed by a 12' TIGERSHARK! Visibility was a hazy 20' in 65FSW so at first I couldn’t tell what it was- I knew it was big because of all the remoras. As it approached it stayed just on the edge of visibility and made two or three slow, relaxed circles before vanishing into the murk. On its last lap it swam by with its mouth WIDE OPEN. No question it was a tiger because the stripes were unmistakable. Interestingly, 2 minutes after it swam off, we came on an 8' dead nurseshark carcass... Maybe a recent kill. Instinctivly, the three of us grouped up tight and were looking over our sholders the whole dive- its funny how everyone remembers how buddy awareness works when tiger shows up. No pictures because the documentarian spaced at the awe of the creature. A little rough on the surface but thats what triptone is for. If you have your stuff together and are a good diver get out with Randy and Emerald Charters. The deep ledge is, IMHO best dive in the area-you never know what you'll see out there. I didnt see it but a few others were buzzed by sailfish on their ascent.Steve

Wow very nice we saw one in Looe Key a few years ago

Sounds like a great dive, viewed after-the-fact when you know everybody made it back onboard with no injuries. I'd like to see one someday, but I keep thinking 'beware what you wish for.' To be circled by a 12 foot tiger shark, the last loop with its mouth wide open, in poor viz. conditions.

Did the nurse shark carcass look partially eaten? I'm just wondering whether that tiger shark had just eaten, and how things might changed had it not.

Richard.

...Did the nurse shark carcass look partially eaten? I'm just wondering whether that tiger shark had just eaten, and how things might changed had it not.

Richard.
The shark carcass was a whiteish color and looked to have been on the bottom for a few days. It was definitally torn up on the underside but was otherwise intact, including all fins.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom