changing the B/P Wing air dump style.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a HOG 32 and an older jacket style BCD. I really liked the old style of dumping air (just pull on the hose). I would like to trade the dump styles. Has anyone done this? Will I burn in Hell because I changed a DIR system? Are there pro's and con's to this system? Thanks for any advice.

Mitchell

I use to be the same. But now I like my BPW original setup. I am assuming you like the pull when you are fixing to drop in on a wreck or a dive site. What is wrong with just holding inflater straight up and pushing the button? I use to feel the same as you with this issue, but now I like this way just as well. I see you are from TN as well do you ever get over to Loch Low Minn or down to Madison's?

without doubt you will.

Nothing you do in diving will get you burned in Hell. But, I would run that idea by a really good equipment tech familar with the functions of BCs.

The threaded connector on many big name brand BCDs is not compatible with the connectors on most wings. If the thread fits, it should work fine. Otherwise, you will find the parts you need towards the bottom of this page: EXP Wings by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

BTW, I went through the same thing when I first switched from a SQ BCD to a DR wing. The DR wings usually come with a pull dump. It did not take me too long to come to dislike the DR pull dump and switch it over to a simple elbow (so I might not burn in hell).

I have a HOG 32 and an older jacket style BCD. I really liked the old style of dumping air (just pull on the hose). I would like to trade the dump styles. Has anyone done this? Will I burn in Hell because I changed a DIR system? Are there pro's and con's to this system? Thanks for any advice.

Mitchell

Purgatory awaits.

Seriously, habits die hard, but it's worth it to learn how to dump via the OPV. Rapid exhausts / pull dumps etc. are simply a crutch.

One "trick" I recommend to new BP&W converts is to add a large "spilt shot" to the string on the OPV. It makes it easier to find when you need to dump gas. After a few dives you can remove it, as you will have developed a new habit.

Tobin

First things first, I dive Loch Low-Minn all the time. Martha's quarry once, Philadelphia twice. Vis has been horrible this year.

Next, the threads match.

Next, as it is now I have to elevate my shoulder (go off horizontal plane) and raise my arm to get a dump of air, whereas as I see it the elbow is already the high spot, the pull dump just makes it easier to vent the air. I don't understand the crutch thing, how is dumping air in a different manner a crutch? And is there a "prescribed" manner for dumping air?

First things first, I dive Loch Low-Minn all the time. Martha's quarry once, Philadelphia twice. Vis has been horrible this year.

Next, the threads match.

Next, as it is now I have to elevate my shoulder (go off horizontal plane) and raise my arm to get a dump of air, whereas as I see it the elbow is already the high spot, the pull dump just makes it easier to vent the air. I don't understand the crutch thing, how is dumping air in a different manner a crutch? And is there a "prescribed" manner for dumping air?

Do you mean the pull dump on a corrugated hose or a pull dump on the back of your wing? If you use the dump on the back of your wing while horizontal it will eliminate the use of getting vertical in the water and having to use your dump valve on your corrugated hose. Although I do understand what you wrote about elbow is the highest point.

Thanks for that link. Regarding the dump valve on the bottom of the wing. I have to turn sideways to dump with that valve. Yes sorry, I meant the pull dump.

There can be issues with pulling on the inflator to dump. The wire that connects it to the dump can corrode and break. Worse, the stress from pulling can cause the inflator hose to crack off at the elbow, which is one of the few failures that can totally disable a wing.

If you are horizontal, it should require very little excursion from trim to dump the wing. Either a small elevation of your shoulders, or a little position head-down should move air to one of the two dumps. If it doesn't, it's quite possible you have too large a wing for your application, and the side pontoons are "taco-ing" around the tank.

I did my Cave 1 class in a wetsuit, so I used my wing alone for buoyancy. Caves are not tolerant of excursions from trim. I was able to vent neatly from my butt dump in almost all situations except those where I was obligated to be head up, and in those, the inflator hose worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom