Need help with trim and tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a PST E119. I use 10# (2X5) in the ACBs, a 6# SS b/p and a dry suit.

On Sunday, for the last dive of the day, I had to switch to a Faber80 (problem with the compressor). I guesstimated 4# more on my belt and jumped in the water.

I noticed I was descending a bit faster than with my regular setup. But arching my back was much easier and my trim felt great. Overall, I was much more comfortable than with the E119.

I always position the tank so that the valve is just above the wing. I did the same with the Faber80. The lead I added should have made up for the difference in the way the weight was spread out. But it didn't feel the same.

Any idea of what I should do to get to the same comfort with the E119? Should I move some of the weight from the ACBs to some trim weights or use a STA? Or is it just that a bigger tank is by definition not as comfortable as a smaller tank and does require more lower back effort in the water column?

Thanks for the advice!

Hmmm... I'm not familiar with a Faber 80, but if it's 7in. diam instead of 8 then it spreads the weight more evenly vertically (119s are very short and concentrate the weight).

You could try trim weight on your cam bands (Dive Rite and Halcyon make good ones) or you could try moving your tank higher (if possible).

Ben

Actually, the Faber 80 is both shorter and narrower than the E119.

Ok, well chances are then the improvement you experienced was because the weight was spread more vertically and slightly less horizontally, my advice would be to grab some trim weight pouches and try them on your upper cam band.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom