World Record Attempt in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisayres

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Didn't know if this was already mentioned or not. I didn't see it posted in here. Allen Sherrod is attempting to set the longest salt-water dive record over in Lauderdale-by-the-sea. I'm too far and have a wife too pregnant to be able to make it down there, but he invites anyone to come out and dive with him. He's going down today at 10am and if all goes to plan will come up on Sunday at 10am. That's 72 long hours. He's asking for night divers specifically since the night is the hardest time for him and he actually is sleeping during the day mostly. Anyway. I put an article about it on my website (shameless self promotion). If you have a chance to stop by, it's really a cool experience. I had a chance to be there when he set the Freshwater record back in September. The dive is also to promote awareness for the artificial reef system that was installed in that area. If you're going to dive this weekend, might as well dive there!

Live feed - By The Sea Events - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Florida
Allen's Facebook - Allen Sherrod | Facebook

He came out today at 10:30 am....the surf was like a washing machine and a ripping southerly current. The new record was set and even though the conditions made some folks hesitate, my understanding is that he had divers with him almost the entire time. Kudos to Allen and the divers who supported him - both the team he brought and the local heroes.

You're correct, he had someone with him at all times. When he did the freshwater dive, he tried to sleep more during the day when it was easier to be monitored. Not sure what went down this time around as I wasn't able to get down there. Pretty incredible regardless. I wouldn't want to do it!

Just a comment on the conditions...during the dive, one of the support divers let go of a full Steel 149 cf Faber tank in the surf. It was picked up the next day by Ft. Lauderdale's Ocean Rescue at the point by Port Everglades...about 6.5 miles south.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom