petting a manatee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EastEndDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I need some info.Is it illegal to pet a manatee in Florida? If so can someone point me in the direction of the law/ordinance stating such.
Feel free to Pm me.

Thanks

John

If so can someone point me in the direction of the law/ordinance stating such.

It's covered under "harassment" which can have a very broad meaning by law enforcement. For example in Blue Springs State Park in Orange City Florida, the ranger has determined that even entering the water is harassment.

The regulations are:

The manatee is protected under federal law by the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 and by the Endangered Species Act of 1973, which make it illegal to harass, hunt, capture or kill any marine mammal. The manatee is also protected by the Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act of 1978, which states: "It is unlawful for any person, at any time, intentionally or negligently, to annoy, molest, harass, or disturb any manatee."

The link is :
Manatee Viewing Guidelines

Again it is up to each individual law enforcement person to decide what is harassment and it varies from location to location, site to site.

Reactions: Jax
I went snorkeling with the manatees last December and it was so wonderful. However there are definitely strick regulations to protect them. First, I don't think they allow scuba around them at all - it's all snorkeling. They also were in a protected area and we were only allowed to snorkel up to the ropes - not enter or go after them, only let them come to us. No sudden movements, no kicking, etc.
We weren't told not to touch them though so if you did it carefully and slowly, they didn't seem to mind it at all.

-Alexandra

Petting ?!?!? Pretty sure that'd be illegal with any marine animal :wink:

Swimming.jpg

The best place I know of to play with manatee is Hospital Hole near weeki wachee. I go there nearly every winter to pet manatee. It seems that FWC doesn't consider petting a manatee as harassment. And since the manatees crave our attention and even swim to us for hours, i'm going to assume that the manatees don't considering being petted as harassment either.

I'll be there in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know if anything has changed.

Honestly, you won't have to pet them, they'll pet you. We did a manatee snorkel this spring (June) and only saw a handful of them, but they were quite playful, especially the young one(s). Kept rubbing noses with people, "petting" us with fins etc etc. It was a great experience.

Get close to them and they willl harrass you....I have had them chase ME down and insist that I scratch them. Reminded me of my old Lab.. It is illegeal to harass them but when one comes up to you and insist you scratch it, that can't be harassment. Go to Birds Underwater, these guys run a great op and make a living having people pet manatees. Bird's Underwater Manatee Tours - BOOK ONLINE!

Don't touch... The turtle, dolphin, shark, manatee, eel, gator, seal, sea lion, whale, etc... They are very fragile and they have no means of protecting themselves... ROTF LMFAO! I say, just don't try to lure them into the back of your truck to take them to a pool party...

Birds Underwater is great! Definitely go with them. You'll have to watch an educational video before snorkeling with them. You can pet, but you absolutely cannot approach them. If they come to you, that's a different story. And believe me, they will come to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom