Conditions are still bad, or is it just a fluke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We left King Harbor this morning in search of better conditions than yesterday. There were also reports of more Orcas heading our way. We didn't find either, but minutes after exiting the harbor we found six Gray whales diving in less than 90 feet off Malaga Cove.
Whales3.jpg

Whales2.jpg

Whales1.jpg

Whales4.jpg

Whales5.jpg

Whales6.jpg

We saw four more at Pt. Vicente before checking out our own places to dive. Most sites had strong currents due to the new moon and large tidal swings. We ended up diving the sewer pipes off White Point. This would be an interesting place to dive on a better day. Blue-ring topsnails and Tritonia festiva were everywhere. The strong surge and blowing sand kept us cowering behind the pipe most of the time.
WhitePoint1.jpg

WhitePoint4.jpg

WhitePoint11.jpg

WhitePoint10.jpg

WhitePoint9.jpg

WhitePoint2.jpg

I found one of these worms earlier this month at Marineland. I have not identified it yet.
WhitePoint5.jpg

WhitePoint7-1.jpg

WhitePoint8.jpg

The world's smallest metridium anemone.

We wanted to make a kelp dive on our way home. Neptune Cove looked like Catalina. Blacksmiths and sardines swirled below the boat, and we could see twenty feet down the kelp. Once we hit the reef it was a different story. Strong surge knocked us around the entire dive. I spent more than five minutes between taking some pictures while waiting for the surge to subside.
NeptuneArch8.jpg

NeptuneArch7.jpg

NeptuneArch5.jpg

NeptuneArch2.jpg

NeptuneArch4.jpg

NeptuneArch1.jpg

NeptuneArch3.jpg

Extreme close up of a Sunflower star.
NeptuneArch10.jpg
NeptuneArch9.jpg

Hang in there, Baby.

Love the juvenile Abalone shots! Very cool series.

How far are the sewer pipes off White Point in comparison to the outer reef?

What's in the second Neptune's shot? Purple translucent algae over top a juvenile sea star?

Merry Christmas Phil & Merry! :santa3:

Maripelta rotata. I usually find them on deep wrecks, but this was in fifty feet. The pipes are straight out from the Lifeguard tower.

Google Maps

Where do you typically find fringeheads; depth and structure? I have yet to see one and I want to get a picture of one sometime next year.
Thanks

Thanks, those are some great photos.

Maripelta rotata. I usually find them on deep wrecks, but this was in fifty feet. The pipes are straight out from the Lifeguard tower.

Google Maps

Interesting... I only see M. rotata on very deep dives (> 150 ft) off Catalina, at least in the region from Two Harbors to the East End.

I found another recently on the Hermosa Artificial reef in 80 feet. I see them on wrecks below 100 feet, but it really surprised me to see any that shallow. In each case, there was only one rotate blade. I've seen Diaulula sandiegensis eating them on the Ace1 wreck, but nowhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom