Can I calculate the time before flight by myself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hong32585

Registered
Reaction score
Some suggest 18hrs, and some suggest 24hrs before flight. Supposing less depth you go, less time is required before flight. Is there a equation I can try to calculate the time.

Mostly I take 18hrs, but after reading so many post of 24hrs, I got a little bit worry. if I can calculate myself, I can better plan my flight itinerary.

Since the equations are all based on models and averages, trying to calculate your own time to fly could get a bit iffy. Even if your body runs towards a more rapid removal of accumulated nitrogen, you have no guarantee that next time will go the same way as last time. The odds are that most people will be fine well within the 18 or 24 hours alloted, but considering the potential problems of having decomp sickness part-way home on an airliner, being conservative just makes sense.

Myself, on our dive trips, we just don't plan any dives during the last 24 hours before leaving. We'll schedule other touristy stuff to do on that final day, and get our diving done earlier in the trip. Granted, I'm still fairly new to diving (at least, number of dives), but I've worked in various hazardous situations over the last thirty plus years. Erring to the side of safety is much better than winding up on the accident reports.

Since the equations are all based on models and averages, trying to calculate your own time to fly could get a bit iffy......

This would be the basis of all dive tables, so why you think this is iffy eludes me.

The bottom line is if you want to calculate your times, use the NOAA tables made for ascent to altitude after diving. The problem of course if you have to dive tables (specifically the NOAA ones) not the computer. I have used this method when contemplating a flight the morning after a day of diving (cutting it close to the recommended 18 hours).

Divers Alert Network has recommended 18 hours for non-deco diving for 10 years, finding no real safety improvement from waiting longer - so it surprises me that anyone here thinks they know more than DAN. Your computer probably has a 24 hour clock from the old idea, but it also should have a time to clear clock.

. Is there a equation I can try to calculate the time.

Well of course there is a equation (well three really) and they are not very hard. There are basically two parts to the problem. The first part is to determine what pressure of inert gas is present in your tissues. For that you need the Haldane equation which provides the gas loading for maintaining a constant depth, and Schreiner's equation which provides the change in pressure for a change in depth at a constant rate. The third thing you need is some sort of limit to keep your calculated pressures below. And those are "M" values. Buhlmann provided a set which can be adjusted for different depths/altitudes. It has been suggested that Buhlmann coefficients apply to half an atmosphere or so. Others have suggested that this is not quite conservative enough and would prefer to keep tissue pressure to 70-90% of the gradient (difference between ambient pressure and M). Anyway you can get the a's, and b's from Buhlmann's book, or on the web and do your own calc's. It is something a relatively average high school student could do, but then the dive agencies think their students are too dim to do the math. Doing everything in common units of pressure makes things a lot easier. It is customary to use units of depth (meters of sea water absolute, or feet of sea water absolute). Once you do that you have to convert altitude to the same units. So for example ambient pressure at sea level is 33 fswa, and in a airplane at 8000 feet above sea level ambient pressure is 25 fswa.

The Galileo Sol displays the no-fly time based on its decompression model, which tends to be less than DAN recommendation. Nevertheless I'd still follow the 18 hr rule for non deco diving. It's a matter of keeping a safety margin to allow for individual factors which no model can account for. You can also use nitrox on the last day of diving to minimize nitrogen loading.

NOAA Diving manual section 4-28 has just the chart you're looking for.
It shows the required surface interval based on your diving profile geared toward specific elevations you want to fly.

Well of course there is a equation (well three really) and they are not very hard. There are basically two parts to the problem. The first part is to determine what pressure of inert gas is present in your tissues. For that you need the Haldane equation which provides the gas loading for maintaining a constant depth, and Schreiner's equation which provides the change in pressure for a change in depth at a constant rate. The third thing you need is some sort of limit to keep your calculated pressures below. And those are "M" values. Buhlmann provided a set which can be adjusted for different depths/altitudes. It has been suggested that Buhlmann coefficients apply to half an atmosphere or so. Others have suggested that this is not quite conservative enough and would prefer to keep tissue pressure to 70-90% of the gradient (difference between ambient pressure and M). Anyway you can get the a's, and b's from Buhlmann's book, or on the web and do your own calc's. It is something a relatively average high school student could do, but then the dive agencies think their students are too dim to do the math. Doing everything in common units of pressure makes things a lot easier. It is customary to use units of depth (meters of sea water absolute, or feet of sea water absolute). Once you do that you have to convert altitude to the same units. So for example ambient pressure at sea level is 33 fswa, and in a airplane at 8000 feet above sea level ambient pressure is 25 fswa.

even with all those equations, your altitude vs flight time is constantly changing, so I would presume you would have perform integral functions on those formulas and if multiple variables exist, solve via differential equations.

NOAA Diving manual section 4-28 has just the chart you're looking for.
It shows the required surface interval based on your diving profile geared toward specific elevations you want to fly.

Could you advise where I can get the
NOAA Diving manual section 4-28 e-copy

this is an interesting question, one I never thought about much. In theory you should be able to do this, but I surmise you will need to collect a few tidbits of data along the way in order to be accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom