AOW costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was checking on taking the PADI AOW class, but when I asked about the costs, and requirements, I was a bit shocked at the cost. I thought I might check here to see if this guy is inline with norms, or if he is taking me for a ride.
How much should an AOW class cost, and what should the class requirements normally be?

I think it will vary greatly depending on the shop you train with. Mine cost around $200 (in Canadian dollars, though), if I remember correctly.

Mine was kinda expensive because I had to buy some new gear and spent a night in a hotel.

What are they asking and what do you get for it?

$275 in the keys will get you course materials, cert card, and 5 boat dives. Add $ for rentals.

Did mine in Coz for $150 plus the cost of the dives. You might be seeing a high cost due to the cost of the dives.

If you're a newbie, sticker shock is pretty common. My LDS charges $175 (aow dives in a quarry), but watch out for hidden charges. There might be fees associated with the dive site or with the specific type of AOW dive. For example, I had to rent dive lights for the night dive. Also, some LDS don't include the cost of the book or the multilevel table in the base price.

What is that saying... in for a pence, out with a pound?

Personally, the only reason that I took AOW was to fulfill the requirement for rescue... but that's another thread.

I can attest to the hidden costs as well. I'm just about to complete my Open Water Course...last week we were offered the opportunity to take a Nitrox Specialty course at a reduced rate of $125. We were told that this was a break from the normal $199+ that they charge for the class...but since we were already in the OW class...they were offering us this special deal. After a little research...it seemed like a great deal since most other listed prices also range in the $200 range. After we agreed to take the class...then we found out that the books & equipment would be extra...$40 for the books...the extra for the equipment only came into play for those of us who were bringing previously certified divers who were interested in the Nitrox class. Those of us already in the OW class already were covered since we paid for our equipment rental as part of our OW fee ($199). It almost feels like when you are at used car dealership & they sell you a car...but when you go to drive away with your new purchase...you find out that there is no engine...because that wasn't part of the cost of the deal... :) I guess we all learn through expeirence.

Anyhow...my wife & I...as well as her parents...are off to Cayman Brac next weekend...and I noticed that they are offering the following:

PADI Advanced Openwater Certification: Includes 5 openwater dives, instruction, student materials and registration. Equipment not included. Pre-requisite- openwater certification from any recognized agency. $250

At first glance...it seems like a good deal...I'm assuming that the 5 openwater dives are for the 5 specialty courses you need to complete the AOW course...but we'll have to wait & see when we get there to make sure.

Thanks...

Kawika

I got the impression that it was 350 for the class, PLUS 5 OW dives. I assumed that meant that I would have to pay for the dives in addition to the basic class costs. Currently I do not have cold water gear, as mine was stolen, and would like to go with a dry suit (I think) Add to that the cost of getting to the sites, for diving, taking time off for the trips, Etc. I was looking a a good 1000.00 in total expenses. I am wondering if it is worth the cost. as I normally don't dive very deep, nor often, (5 times a year is a good estimate) it is hard to justify this expense

Kawika once bubbled...

At first glance...it seems like a good deal...I'm assuming that the 5 openwater dives are for the 5 specialty courses you need to complete the AOW course...but we'll have to wait & see when we get there to make sure.

Thanks...

Kawika

These 5 specialty dives are a requirement for the AOW course, but in themselves do not give you the specialty themselves - if you took a night dive as one of your adventure dives, you still have to take a night certification, for example, if you want your night specialty.

I see...so you make 5 specialty dives to qualify for the AOW course...but in order to get the additional specialty pokemon cards :wink: we have to pay the additional $50 or so per specialty class as well? I noticed in their advertisement that they are also offering the following:

PADI Specialty Courses Deep, night, wreck, multi-level, naturalist, search and recovery, equipment, peak buoyancy, MFA, Nitrox $150

Do you think that this would be an all inclusive cost for all the listed specialties or an individual price? My guess would be an individual price per specialty since the Nitrox course normally goes for $150 or so on its own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom