Certification Levels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skramernj

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Question for the group. I was certified as an Open Water diver more than 15 years ago - have over 100 dives (I only do a few a year) including deep dives (below 100'), night dives, current dives, etc. I never bothered with the Advanced Open Water certification as, when I was certified, it wasn't a big deal. I'm not an "expert" diver by any means, but certainly not a novice either.

I just tried to book a dive trip and was told that, for the dive over 80', I'll need a guide with me, since I don't have AOW. The funny part here is, I've done this exact dive, with the same company 2 or 3 years ago. I have multiple dives below 100', but the company stated that was their policy due to insurance.

Is this a new trend and I should just shut up and get AOW, or is this the case of dives shops trying to sell more courses ?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Yes it is a recent development,especially in Florida...The operators see many people diving every day that perhaps should NEVER have been certified and are attempting to limit their liability. Most operators once they see you in the water and are competent will allow you to dive without a need for a guide.
Many operators on Grand Cayman now want proof of diving within the past 2 years.If you have not dove in 2 years or more you need to do a refresher with them or at home before flying down. Have not dove in 10 years or more;Cayman operators want you to take ENTIRE open water course over..

I took AOW about a year after I did my OW because I was told I would need it to dive on charters off the coast of NC and other places so I took it. Like you, I already had a number of dives below 100ft, night dives, wreck dives, etc. But I took the course because I thought I had to have it. To tell you the truth, if I had to do it over again I would not take the course. As far as I can remember, I have never had to prove I had AOW to be able to dive any place I have been.

Take the course if you feel you need to but chances are you won't learn much except for maybe becoming better at using a compass. Of course I no longer dive with a compass so I don't even use that knowledge anymore.

If I were you I would at least go all the way to rescue. I dont place much value on AOW since its not real in depth but the rescue is one of my proudest achievements. It teaches you things about diving you never would have assoicated with diving.

I walk in the shop and hand them a tech card for decompression diving......Shop....."Great but do you have an AOW card"Me........"Your holding one".Shop....."No something from PADI or NAUI".Me........"I returned those" Shop....."if you don't have an AOW card the depth limit will be 60ft"Me........"can you read"Me......." I will need Nitrox"Shop...." are you an enriched air diver?"Me....... " yes, here is my card" Shop...." it only reads advanced Nitrox up to 100%"Me......."ok"Shop...."let me get a manager"The funny thing is I always dive with good ops on vacation?

Last edited:
The simple fact is, whatever anyone may think about it, some places do in fact require AOW to do specific dives, and it does seem to be a growing trend. If you never dive in those places, you don't need it. If you do dive in those places, you need it. There really isn't much more to say.

To the OP...you cannot fault the Dive centers for asking for a recognized course in this regard. A C-card should represent some form of competency (as long as the card holder has done his part after obtaining such certification). A logbook is just that, a written piece of paper from an individual at best bearing two illisible signatures for something that usually cannot be confirmed unless it contains some form of official stamps to coroborate its content.

For sake of liability, I do not think that any reputable dive ops would stamp somebody's logbook attesting that they allowed a diver to dive beyond the limitations of the certifications held at the time nor would they allow a diver to do so when they could be held accountable for any mishap. The ''Come on... I dove the same profile three years ago with you folks'' do not hold much weight as staff may have changed or something could have happened either to them or somebody else warranting greater scrutiny in ensuring level of certification commensurate with the dive in question.

Last edited:
If you do not have AOW you may want to get it. In the Keys any deep Wreck dive requires it. Its been getting worst over time. Used to be only a couple shops required AOW. Now they all do. That or a guide. The US is sue happy. We can either kill all the lawyers or take AOW. :cool2:

You are definitely NOT a novice diver.

But the requirement of the advanced class seems to be a trend. Esp in the States. I did the NC wrecks in 2010 and they asked divers to list their dive insurance as well. I was surprised that 80 percent of us had the ins.

I would take the AOW. I got alot out of it. I had a GREAT Instructor. It had been years since my OW and thought it was worthwhile

I assume it is due to the divers some of the ops see every day and the liability issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom