crime in bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
we are considering diving bali end of march, just read that bali is one of the most dangerous islands to visit,? is that true want to be well informed in making out choices ( can't do it all):depressed: and how long is the travel time approx. from florida?

Sorry my post was not intended to offend, only looking for honest information. I found the info while searching for the location of Bali in relation to other islands in Indonesia. I think it came up under Wikipedia or a similar site. However knowing this may not be true I am asking other divers about their experience in bali.

We've been to Bali three times and never were concerned about crime. Travel time off the west coast depends on your routing but as a general rule it will be around 24hrs including layovers. Last August we flew on Cathay Pacific out of Vancouver to Hong Kong (14hrs) and then Hong Kong to Bali (5hrs).

Go enjoy lynnemari. It's a city like any large city, but otherwise no problem. Ask your hotel or travel agent for local guides to drive you around. We paid $40 a day (though we gave $60) and two guys drove us all around. Travel time is what Woodiver suggests. We went out of SFO for a little less time to Hong Kong (12 hrs?). I'd say the problem is more one of the street vendors trying to sell you everything. THeir standard question: where are you from? so they can determine price to ask you. I just said, "over there" and pointed down the street. They instantly knew I wasn't interested in their con.

Bear in mind that Bali isn't just the cheesy tourist trap area around Kuta, nor is it just the city of Denpasar. You can cross the whole island in 4 hours, and along the way interact with what I honestly consider to be the sweetest people on this Earth. They're proud of their country within a country, and they take offense when a tourist is the subject of a crime (most likely petty theft). They will tell you straight out that the Balinese aren't raised to behave that way, and that it's mostly people from other islands who come to the densest areas of Bali for easy pickings who create these problems.

You can literally be sitting in a quiet villa, watching the villagers tending their rice fields, within 30-45 minutes of the airport. We're going to Indonesia to dive next month, and it's killing me that we aren't going through Bali, since those five days we take there at the start of a trip to reset our body clocks, and see a new part of the island, are something I dearly look forward to. PM me (seriously) if you have any questions, or if you want to contribute to my fund to stay in Bali for six months! :wink:

Last edited:
My wife and I have been to Bali 6 times in the last 7 years. I have always felt completely safe there day or night. I have never experienced any crime. There is a history of counterfeiting problems with US currency. Money changers will not accept older currency. Your travel agent can give you a list of the denominations and issue dates that are most problematic. The Balinese are wonderful people. I can't wait to go back this year. Carry a Kindle the flight from the West Coast is a full day of travel. You get used to it. The work is worth the reward.

Have been there many times in the last 7 years, diving, sightseeing, just hanging out. Spent a lot of time in Kuta too. Have never experienced any kind of problem, day or night. Bali people are very nice. Of course, bad things can happen anywhere. I think bath tubs are more dangerous.

Was in Bali a year ago. Stayed far away from the city for two weeks and then nearby for a third week. Had no issues and can't imagine having any - found people extremely friendly. Spent some time in places that tourists would never go (a gong makers factory for example) and found everyone we met easy to deal with even though we had no common language.

The only "dangerous" part of Bali that I could see is the "highway" to Jakarta. I will drive anything anywhere but this is one road that I would prefer to avoid. Heavy trucks, overloaded, passing each other, bumper to bumper traffic much of the way and driving as a contact sport. Use a driver unless you are extremely comfortable driving in a free for all environment. In three weeks I personally witnessed three accidents. A tanker truck in the ditch, a motorcycle clip someones bumper following too close and crash and a bus drive into the rice paddy beside the road.

I am sure there are places where you will find crime, but that is true everywhere.

Sounds like maybe you ended up on either the "Nasty Bali" or "Fugly Bali" website. From what I understand, those were put up by disgruntled gits with poor coping mechanisms!

Traffic is a problem, as are money changers and dogs. The dive areas of Pemuteran & Tulamben are quiet and relaxed without the crazed unattractive issues that the Kuta area experiences. Don't worry about it.

I don't know what city in Florida you are in, but Cathay Pacific offers JFK to Bali in 25 1/2 hrs.

Korean Air offers Miami to Bali in 28 1/2 hrs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom