Radioactive Paradise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently watched a show on the Bikini Atoll titled Radioactive Paradise(possibly on the NatGeo channel). It featured a bunch of researchers returning to Bikini to assess the radiation levels, marine biology, state of the wrecks, and the radiation levels on the island itself.

Interestingly, radiation levels around the ships and ground samples from the sea floor registered safe. There were some hotshots on the island in a couple of spots and the fruit was determined to gave higher than safe levels, but overall, much of the cesium they expected to find wasn't present.

The reefs were recovering, although, the wrecks themselves did not show the growth that would be expected given the amount of time that has elapsed. These reading were taking both from a minisub and by a diver who actually penetrated the Saratoga.

There were sightings of a new species of Nurse shark believed to be the result of a mutation (single dorsal as opposed to double dorsal fins).

My questions are:
Is this area open to recreational divers?

If not, do you think it should be considering the safe radiation levels?

If it is open to divers, has anyone dove there?

Any thoughts on the subject?

Don't know if it's open but I'd love to dive it. Heck maybe dive it enough and grow gills at the same time! Tanks? Rebreather? Don't need none o dat fancy stuff man.

There used to be a dive resort on the Island but it closed after Marshall Airlines shut the route to Bikini. There is a livaboard that makes trips there on occasion but they are not cheap. Pete Mesley is the guy to contact if you want to dive Bikini

Welcome to Bikini Atoll

Bikini Atoll re-opened in 2011, as you can see from their web site. Given the restrictions involved in diving there - totally self-sufficient live aboard, paying for TWO govt stooges to come along, etc - it ain't going to be cheap.

Sure would be interesting though.

Welcome to Bikini Atoll

Bikini Atoll re-opened in 2011, as you can see from their web site. Given the restrictions involved in diving there - totally self-sufficient live aboard, paying for TWO govt stooges to come along, etc - it ain't going to be cheap.

Sure would be interesting though.

I'll add it to my bucket list.

If you want to know more about it, there's a chapter about it in a book I read by Dan Lenihan: Amazon.com: Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team (9781557045898): Daniel Lenihan: Books

Lenihan started an underwater historical site conservation team under the US National Park Service. His team was among the first to dive Bikini Atoll. They also dove Pearl Harbor and many other places. He was a good friend of Sheck Exley, a major cave diving/deep diving/mixed gas diving pioneer. The first chapters are about his experiences cave diving in FL.

Good read, gets a little dry toward the end, but lots of great info about some wreck sites.

When I worked for the Department of Energy we supported the NPS trips to Bikini from Johnston Atoll. The only caution was to not eat the breadfruit. What the others said about Pete Mesleys trip is true. His website is lust for rust. Wh will be on the Spree following RB3 to check out the Ghost Fleet wrecks.

I recently watched a show on the Bikini Atoll titled Radioactive Paradise(possibly on the NatGeo channel). It featured a bunch of researchers returning to Bikini to assess the radiation levels, marine biology, state of the wrecks, and the radiation levels on the island itself.

Interestingly, radiation levels around the ships and ground samples from the sea floor registered safe. There were some hotshots on the island in a couple of spots and the fruit was determined to gave higher than safe levels, but overall, much of the cesium they expected to find wasn't present.

The reefs were recovering, although, the wrecks themselves did not show the growth that would be expected given the amount of time that has elapsed. These reading were taking both from a minisub and by a diver who actually penetrated the Saratoga.

There were sightings of a new species of Nurse shark believed to be the result of a mutation (single dorsal as opposed to double dorsal fins).

My questions are:
Is this area open to recreational divers?

If not, do you think it should be considering the safe radiation levels?

If it is open to divers, has anyone dove there?

Any thoughts on the subject?

It's funny....that documentary you saw was not REALLY a 'research expedition'. It was a recreational trip conducted for the sole benefit of Paul Allen (Co-founder of Microsoft) who owns the Octopus, and the Pagoo Submarine (along with two helicopters, all aboard his 400+ foot Yacht). I suspect that he turned it into a "bogus" research expedition and shot the documentary so that the entire cost of the trip, fuel, 80-man crew aboard his yacht, etc..... would be tax-deductable. I only know this, because one of the guys in the Sub, during the filming; is a close friend of mine; he was the then general manager of the Bikini Divers operation (not mentioning his name out of respect). I have still pictures of that trip from the yacht octopus, and from inside of the Pagoo which my friend shot and then emailed to me.

Anyway, I am organizing a 12-day liveaboard trip for May 4 to May 17th, 2013. If you're interested, email me: doriadiver11@aol.com

It's funny....that documentary you saw was not REALLY a 'research expedition'. It was a recreational trip conducted for the sole benefit of Paul Allen (Co-founder of Microsoft) who owns the Octopus, and the Pagoo Submarine (along with two helicopters, all aboard his 400+ foot Yacht). I suspect that he turned it into a "bogus" research expedition and shot the documentary so that the entire cost of the trip, fuel, 80-man crew aboard his yacht, etc..... would be tax-deductable. I only know this, because one of the guys in the Sub, during the filming; is a close friend of mine; he was the then general manager of the Bikini Divers operation (not mentioning his name out of respect). I have still pictures of that trip from the yacht octopus, and from inside of the Pagoo which my friend shot and then emailed to me.

Anyway, I am organizing a 12-day liveaboard trip for May 4 to May 17th, 2013. If you're interested, email me: doriadiver11@aol.com

I'd bet you're right, I've seen one of his four yachts in Palau a few years back and had dinner with the crew........The helicopter pilot was telling me about another yacht he has where the bow opens up and a hovercraft comes flying out scaring the crap out of the natives of small islands around the world, they think they are being invaded:).........incredible money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom