Kayak Diving and/or Shore Diving near LA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theoctopus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is my first post on the board, so please bear with me.

I recently renewed my interest in diving due to financial solubility that did not exist when I started 10 years ago. Working on my Advanced right now through NAUI, and only have 25 dives or so under my belt, though I'm super comfortable in the water (learned to swim before I could walk). I am first-aid trained and used to work as an ER tech, so I'd like to think that I can still serve as a reliable buddy despite my lack of experience.

My schedule leaves me with quite a bit of free time in the mornings, and I'd really like to start logging some more time in the water. Kayak and shore diving seems like a really great way to do that while also working on some pretty key skills. I also feel like I'm missing out on quite a bit by only doing boat dives in the Channel Islands, and skipping out on locations that are much closer to home. To this end, I have a couple reasons for posting up here.

First, does anyone here do Kayak diving? I've been thinking of picking up a 'yak so I can do some two-tank dives in some harder to reach places. It seems like a really cool way to blend two things that I've always had fun doing. I'd love to link up with someone who has more experience in this area than I do, so I can pick up some tricks as I go. I'd also be interested in freediving and/or hunting in combination with this.

Second, would anyone who has a little more experience like a semi-regular partner for shore diving around the Los Angeles area? I'm happy to travel around to get in some great dives.

I have kayak SCUBA dived. But only single tank and protected locations I am familiar with from Big Sur to Mendocino. My kayaks barely have enough room for one tank. I would never think of doing 2 tank dives off one of my kayaks. My small inflatable will work though and is much safer. If you are interested in freediving off of a kayak then check out SpearBoard California section. Keep an eye out on Craigslist for deals on kayaks. I have an AquaTerra Prism plastic sit-on-top, a couple of epoxy/marine plywood kayaks, and a large plastic kayak. A wide 13-14' sit-on-top that is able to handle over 250lbs may be a stable dive platform. There are pictures of kayaks and discussions on SpearBoard. I can explore more when freediving from a kayak.

Welcome to SCUBABoard and have fun getting wet!

Thanks for the head's up. I'm likely going to pick up a used Prowler Trident 13, which should have plenty of room for at least 1 tank, and maybe 2 if I finagle a couple things. At the very least, it should serve as a good homebase for some dives, and definitely for freediving. I've already bothered the guys over at SpearBoard for some tips, so I'll be sure to glean as much information as I can from them.

If I can't find someone to tag along with, I'll probably spend some time sharpening some skills before I move forward with the kayak. Much better to be safe than sorry.

I have been Kayak Diving on a regular basis with a group of friends for over 20 years. We have all settled on Ocean Kayak Malibu-2's as the best choice for diving. Lots of room, very stable and all your gear can go either in front of you or in the kayak which seems to work well.

As an alternative to the Kayak, consider a scooter. Current models can get you onsite faster than a Kayak and have considerable range. A scooter will continue to provide you a useful tool no matter where your diving takes you.

Thanks Dave! I'm keeping my eyes open for the right kayak deal. When it shows up, I'll bite and be out on the water trying things out.

1.3: I had not considered a scooter. Any tips on a manufacturer? I'm not sure I'm sold, since I do love kayaking apart from diving, but I'm intrigued.

Thanks Dave! I'm keeping my eyes open for the right kayak deal. When it shows up, I'll bite and be out on the water trying things out.

1.3: I had not considered a scooter. Any tips on a manufacturer? I'm not sure I'm sold, since I do love kayaking apart from diving, but I'm intrigued.

Only tried kayak diving once or twice years ago. Diving in a 7mm wetsuit and full gear can be challenging. I did not pursue it as getting a kayak was not in the cards for me. We did kayak out to the artificial island just west of Ventura near sea cliff. we put in at the beach near the mobil piers (now since removed) and paddled out to the island. Not sure if you can do that now. It was a pretty neat dive.

Look up the Tahoe Bench Mark (TBM). Most recent results have scooters which are pushing well beyond 6 miles range. You will likely find other divers with scooters (like myself) vs small number of divers using Kayaks. Back to basics - Hard physical work after a dive is not recommended.... You can end up bent.

OP - I shot you a PM about diving here in LA. Give me a call and we'll head out.

Welcome to the board.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom