What BCD can you recommand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LaMissJude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I had a Mares Origin Sport and end up having a lot if trouble with (heavy leak after short time use, get replaced and same problem occured, finally ended up by giving in replacement for the 2nd time a Rover :-/, still better than a kick in the teeth, but not exactly what I paid for...)
I now dive with a SeacSub Pro Line 2000, and I'm not really happy with it. It has a really hard part on the bottom of the back, and it can be really painfull when I need to walk a bit with my tank on my back. The direct system is way too long and heavy (buttons in metal) and leak really easily.

I'm looking for a replacement.

What I'm looking for, is a "semi wing" BCD, with a big buoyancy in a XS size (I usually end up taking the S, as the XS don't often have a big buoyancy, but will be really happy to have something in my size, that I don't need to tighten hardcore to make it fit), trim pockets and integrated weights, dump valve at least on the right shoulder, pockets on both side, a few rings, strong material and not too heavy in the travel bag....:D

I don't want a wing (backplate), and I don't care about the women fancy stuff :)

I red about the Cressi back jac 2012, it seems to be quite what I'm looking for. But I also red reviews regarding problems with integrated weight pockets being "too soft" and falling...

Does anyone have some advice about what BCD I could use?

Thank you!

I've never heard of a semi-wing BC, could you explain what that is?
Realistically speaking you only need as much buoyancy lift in your BC as the amount of negative weight you're carrying. The Maldives being a warm water destination, I would think you'd be wearing a 3mm, maybe a 5mm at most. So you're weight would be under 20lbs.
That being said a 23lbs lift BC would be more than plenty. Are you looking for something much bigger? Because I don't think you'd actually need it.

Can you also explain your problem a little bit more? How are you diving your BC; pool, ocean, or both. Are you using it and rinsing it frequently? Do you throw it in a pile of gear when on the boat?
Also were the Mares Origin BC's new when you bought them?
I find it hard to believe that two BC's would spring major leaks if they were new.

I'm familiar with Oceanic/Hollis....so look at the Oceanic BioLite, Oceanic Excursion, Hollis Ride, Hollis HD100.
Also, the Zeagle ExpressTech is a good one.

BTW, these are called "Back-inflate"....not quite a BP/W, not quite a vest either. It's vest that inflates on your back.

The SCUBAPRO LadyHawk - XS - 34lbs/15 liters of lift,w/ trim pockets, wt integrated and shoulder dump!

Cressi Air Travel - XS-XL 35.9lb lift
Scubapro litehawk -XS-XXL 54lb lift

For answering g1138, my Origin Sport was new when I bought it, and the replacement was also new. The shop was in Egypt. The 3rd time, I went in France, and they gave me the Rover BCD in replacement.
I was not throwing it in a pile when coming back on the boat, I was rinsing it even 2 times a day for the 2nd one. The 1st last around 6 month, and the 2nd... 6 weeks. Find it hard to believe or not, that's what happened :). At the time, I think I posted on SB about this problem.
I used it a bit in pool, but principally in the sea.
Here in the Maldives, I dive with a shorty 3mm, and use 2 to 4 kg of weight (2-3 for me, 1 or 2 I can give to guests)... less than 20lbs for sure (if I'm correct, it's around 9kg? if it is, it would be HUGE for here).

Thank you victorzamora, now I know how to say it in english :)

Thank you also to the others that gave some ideas, I will look for some info about these BCDs. And if anybody has some other suggestions, keep posting :D

Zeagle Express Tech. Light, rugged, highly customizable, and unlike the others noted so far you do not try and fit into the BC. You can fit the BC to you. And at a USD retail of around $250-$275 for the basic one, a much better value. I have a complete review of it with pics here: http://www.dailyscubadiving.com/zeagle-express-tech-buoyancy-compensator-review/

Adding the d rings and metal buckle, plus weight pouches added roughly $30 to the price of mine. And it could be shipped USPS Priority Flat rate for around $40.00 from most any US dealer that uses USPS for shipping. As others have stated you do not need a lot of lift. But if you wanted more order it with the 30lb bladder for no extra cost from many dealers. There is no reason to pay more than $350 for warm water BC. Especially one that may or may not fit you properly. It sounds like that is what you are running into.

Having 35 - 54 lbs of lift in a warm water BC is just nuts. Especially if you are an extra small and are using aluminum tanks, or small steels even like lp72's, and as little weight as you do. It also helps to be able to put d rings, pockets, etc where you need them. Not where a mfg thinks they should be as more often than not they are wrong.

Last edited:
I have the Oceanic BioLite for travel purposes. Very happy with it... However it has the dump on the left shoulder..
It has removable pockets for the waist and trimpockets for the camband. It is a backinflate. With regards to lift, I am most likely "a little bit bigger" than you.. and with quite a lot of "bioinsulation" I also wear quite a lot of lead... No problems with lift.
It weighs about 5 pounds.
I love it! :wink:

I'd personally recommend a BP/W with weight-belt. In the long run, it'll probably be cheaper.
If a wing breaks, take it out and replace it. Also most BCD have retarded prices like 500$ for a piece of fabric.
The wing are usually made in two part, inner & outer bladder.

If you get that punctured... start looking around, someone probably hates you. Because the wing on BP/W are usually very durable.

Back
Top Bottom