BP Wing package.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolfie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So here it is. I'm looking to the backplate wing. Is there anything inherently wrong with this set up? Looks too good to be true. I wanted something short term for twin 72's that my current BC does not hold. And possible moving into twin 85's if I go through with Deco proceedures later this summer.

Your Items Quantity

TECHNICAL SCUBA BCD PACKAGE
SKU: PKGBCTEK
Price Per Unit: $279.95
Item Added on 5/14/2012
Move to wishlist

Remove

$279.95

Dive Rite Basic Harness
in TECHNICAL SCUBA BCD PACKAGE SKU: DIR15459
Price Per Unit: $0.00

$0.00

Sea Elite Stainless Back Plate
in TECHNICAL SCUBA BCD PACKAGE SKU: SEE0019

$0.00

Hog 38 Lb Wing For Doubles in TECHNICAL SCUBA BCD PACKAGE SKU: EDG0034

$0.00

Crotch Strap W-2In Scooter Ring and Pad
in TECHNICAL SCUBA BCD PACKAGE SKU: DIR15469
Price Per Unit: $15.95

$15.95
Subtotal
$295.90

Sounds fine, just one thing to think about:

I see in your profile that you have a drysuit in storage along with your 72's.

Will you be diving the 72 twinset wet or dry?

If wet, you need to do some serious research on the meaning of "balanced rig". Some disciplines frown heavily on diving any doubles wet. HOWEVER, my calcs tell me that a balanced rig may be possible (wet) with 72's as they are "light" in relation to most steel doubles, and the gas swing burden is still reasonable for a wetsuit unless you overfill them.

----> After you decide on this, you will know if you want your backplate in SS or AL. Drysuit with 72's is SS for certain.

Another thing that doesn't get told often enough: The backplate has to fit you. As an estimate, reach your right hand behind your back and keep touching the spot where your fingers come to rest at the lowest comfortable point on your spine. Have someone measure from this point down to the bottom of your levi's belt. A plate this length would be a reasonable first guess. At this moment, I have a backplate design at Fred Tagge's ready to be cut. 18" long with a contour to fit my Larry Green wing that I'm toying with using wet with 72's. Can't say just yet, have to weigh the final assembly underwater with a fish scale to see if the idea is safe. http://decodoppler.wordpress.com/gear-tips-and-recommendations/ combined with the answer to "Can you swim your doubles up from depth in a wetsuit with full gas load and no help from your wing?

Wow, 18" is very long. Regular plate is somewhere between 15" and 16" in lenght. I think the bottom of the plate should rest just above the hip bone, so when put the weights on (tank), the bottom edge won't dig into your hip bone.

I just bought the DRIS Single Tank BP/W for $299. I suspect if I ever got into doubles this would be my second BP/W cause it seems like a really good deal and would keep me from switching my wings around.

It seems my dry suit has shrunk and is currently on the auction block. Found a used DUI that I am in process of purchasing. Let's say I have big lungs and even with no suit I could use Ss to keep some lead off. I know I will need to work on balancing it all. Planning on deco procedures at the end of summer and will most likely be moving to twin 85's and a 40 deco bottle to extend times on great lake wrecks to 140'. Then the 72's for dive 2. Thanks for the clues on length I'll check with them in the morning.

Nice to see the prices of BP&W coming down - along with the DRIS, this is the second offering below the magic $300 mark.

I don't see anything wrong with the package - generic backplate, hogarthian harness (brand irrelevant) and a Hog wing. Check your buoyancy requirements to ensure that 38lb is optimum... if you dive steel doubles, it may not be sufficient. Will definitely work ok with ali cylinders/tropical diving.

Search the site for the 'Wing Lift Calculator'.

I like the Hollis Elite 2 better

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom