Travel/packing friendly wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
so I am using a Mach V 40lb single's wing from oxycheq, I like it a lot, very streamline even in warm water diving. However, it is not the most packing freindly wing in term of packing due to its 3D cutting and relatively thick outter shell. For comparison, I have a Halcyon Evolve 40lb double's wing, it fold down smaller than Mach V 30lb single wing. So I am looking for get a smaller and most importantly packing friendly wing. I have looked at a few choices:

1) I have had DSS 17lb wing before, given to a cousin. I like it but it is NOT STA compatible. I didn't want to have to cut the platic stablizers off for a brand new wing.

2) Mach V 17lb wing. Alhtough I haven't seen on in person, I think I will have similar issue packing it due to the construction.

3) HOG 23lb. I have seen it in person. I think it is kind of wide for a 23lb even when compared to Mach V 40lb. I kind of have concern about in water streamlining.

4) Halcyon eclipse 30lb. Pretty low profile wing, feels much smaller than their 40lb version. Material is flexible. Only down side is $$. Something less expansive will be nice.

5) DRIS trianta 28lb wing. Again, haven't seen on in person, don't know how big it is. Price is right. Manufactured by big dive company, so quality should be garanteed

So what you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Not many left to choose from. Dive Rite travel wing maybe? Can use with or without sta.

Hollis s25, can be used w/o STA. nice narrow profile

I use the Mach 5 18lb wing when tropical travel diving I love it's tiny profile, I have not had any issues packing it, I use a hiking back pack.

You NEED something with bungees all over it! Says the guy who just packed his Mach V 40lb wing to go warm water diving.

I'd prefer a slightly more 'rigid' low-capacity wing, than a flexible/foldable wing that requires carrying a STA.

I use a Mach V 17lb wing, with ultra-lite backplate (for travelling) or al plate (for at home).

I want STA for a few reason. First is some of my plate doesn't have cam band slot anymore. Two is STA makes tank further away from my head. This may not matter to everyone, but kind of big issue for me.

STA although not light weight, but fairly small and easy to pack. Mach V wing, not so. Maybe because mine is 40lb. But I have see H-40lb or DSS wing that can be folded down. What is the disadvantage of flexible/foldable wing?

I'd prefer a slightly more 'rigid' low-capacity wing, than a flexible/foldable wing that requires carrying a STA.

I use a Mach V 17lb wing, with ultra-lite backplate (for travelling) or al plate (for at home).

What is the disadvantage of flexible/foldable wing?

If any, I'd guess that there was an increased risk to the bladder from pinching, when it was folded up.

That said, I've got a 40lb Halcyon Evolve... and it does transport nicely (folded in half, then half again - into quarters). I do worry about those folds though...

You coud always use the Oxycheq mini STAs I've used them and they work fine. You could also use the AGIR aluminium STA if you prefer full length, it's very light but not cheap. I got bored while I was looking for work here in Japan and ended up buying AGIR ali plate, ali STA and ali cam bands. Given the price for AGIR gear and the fact I had no job probably wasn't the smartest move but it does look cool. A fool and his money and all that...

When did Oxycheq start making 17lb wings?

I have a Hollis S25 that fits in a standard roller carry-on still fully assembled with the plate and harness and STA. I pack it flat - If I remember correctly there's a little bending up at the very top and bottom of the wing. I personally would not fold it - it's not very "foldable" anyway as the center panel is rather stiff.

Is there a reason it needs to fold vs packing it flat? Perhaps you can roll it around some clothes or something to reduce the size but avoid hard folds?

Back
Top Bottom