Veo 3.0 stuck on an 8ft dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from a week long dive trip. My Veo 3.0 did what it was supposed to, it went into dive mode when I was diving and went into surface mode when I was at the surface. Midway through my second flight today, it started diving... it's been on an 8ft dive (max 9ft) for just over 3 hours now. I assume it turned off before starting it's in-flight dive, but I don't know for sure (it still had 4 hours left on the timer when I last checked this morning). I just tried rinsing it under running water but it's still at 8ft. I assume there's a salt crystal or something on one of the contacts that's keeping it going, but the constant 8ft seems a bit weird. Do I just need to give it a serious soaking and/or look for salt or debris on it somewhere, or do I have a bigger problem?

When it finally realizes that it's not at 8ft, is there a way to delete the dive from the history so the longest dive record will be accurate?

I suspect you may have a failed altitude sensor. I had a similar failure with one of my computers and that was the problem. Give the guys at Oceanic a call.

I left the computer in a bucket of water overnight just in case it was dirty contacts, and it looks like it went back into surface mode about 8 hours after being submerged, and about 12 hours after the dive started. I checked the log, and it looks like this was actually the second dry dive it made - the first was also to 9ft max, for 231 minutes and started mid-flight. That one ended roughly when my second flight took off, then the second dive started 19 minutes later. Both dives are showing in the log as at an elevation of EL4, which from what I can figure from the manual is 7000 or 8000ft, so cabin pressure.

I'm heading to the dive shop later today, so I'll see if they have any ideas while I'm waiting for more responses here. If I don't get anything, I'll contact Oceanic directly.

---------- Post added ----------

My inquiry at the dive shop resulted in "there's probably something faulty inside and it should probably be sent back". Now I've looked at it a few times today and noticed that a few hours after I stopped soaking it the surface time on screen was lower than what it should have been based on what it showed when I took it out of the bucket, suggesting it had turned off and then turned itself back on sometime later. When I returned from the dive shop, it was off, but when I picked it up, it turned back on without me pressing any buttons. Just now, I turned it on by putting my finger on the data port contacts, which I doubt is supposed to happen.

Thinking about it logically, if it calibrates the 8000ft cabin pressure as depth 0 when it turns on, then descent and landing at sea level would be interpreted as a "depth" of 9ft or so, which could explain why the first phantom dive ended after take-off of my second flight and the second dive started on descent and continued for 12 or 14 hours since it never returned to 8000ft. This only makes sense if it can be diving without being wet, using pressure alone. Could a slightly damp towel cause wet-activation?

At this point, I'm allowing myself to speculate since if it has to be sent back to Oceanic, it'll have to wait until Monday anyway.

Back
Top Bottom