BP/W setup for a FL T-shirt diver? ? ? ? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wakerider017

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Been using a back inflate BC (Zeagle Stiletto) and thinking about purchasing a BP/W setup.

I dive in FL and 90% of my dives are done without wetsuit protection. Mostly just using a T-shirt and board shorts, or sometimes no shirt at all. Right now all my dives are single tank. No doubles.

Comfort is a must since I'll often be using without protection. I'm figuring I'd want a back pad and padded straps?

I'd really like some recommendations from the pro's since I haven't the slightest idea on how to set one up.
Brand and model suggestions would be appreciated for the type of setup I'm looking for!!

Not sure which weight pockets, accessory pockets and other accessories to buy.

What kind of tank and how much weight do you currently need? Do you travel by plane a lot?

I haven't dove my BP/W in skin yet, but I've worn it at the surface wearing just a t-shirt and it seems fine to me. I don't see the need for all the extra padding to be honest.

What kind of tank and how much weight do you currently need? Do you travel by plane a lot?

I haven't dove my BP/W in skin yet, but I've worn it at the surface wearing just a t-shirt and it seems fine to me. I don't see the need for all the extra padding to be honest.

I dive with Steel HP100's. Currently use 8lbs when I'm diving with a t-shirt. Not a lot of plane travel. I have my own boat and go diving close to home. I'm a spear-fisherman :D

Since I've never used a BP/W the thought of cold steel on my back (especially when not wearing a shirt at all) and stiff straps seem unpleasant?

BUT..... You guys have the experience, so I am deferring to you. :)

Ok, so based on what I've seen in other threads and personal experience, you expect a steel backplate BP/W to be about -8 compared to your current rig. So you'll probably not need any weights at all. Are you sure your not currently overweighted? If you could stand to lose a few lbs, that won't really be an option if you go steel BP/W. Were your #'s for salt or fresh? If salt, do you dive fresh? You'd be overweighted in that situation.

Where do you wear your lead now? Do you put it up front as a keel to balance that big negative tank on your back or do you not have any problems with "turtling"?

That 100cf tank has about a 7.5lb swing in buyancy so you'll start a little negative then get neutral at the end of the dive. Certainly something you could swim up.

Before I bought a BP/W, I thought it was a little "fanboy" for people to say it's really comfortable. Seriously? How could 2" nylong webbing be comfortable? But you know, it actually is. Now I haven't actually dove it in the water with just a t-shirt but I really do expect that it'd be fine.

So from what you've told me, I'd probably go ahead and get a minimal Hogarthiarn style rig. The steel BP/W would probably be fine with a bunch of qualifiers but an AL or ABS ( Zeagle Express Tech ) might be a little better for you. I think this is why you'll find some people own more then one backplate and/or dive the Express Tech in warm florida waters.

Do you know anyone in your area that you could ask to dive their rig to try it out?

As for pockets and accessories, you are probably fine without all of that until you know what you need it for and what you want.

I'd look at the Express Tech. It will take doubles also. I only dive in a t-shirt also and have (briefly in the store) tried a Halcyon BP/W.
I didn't like the way the plate pressed against my shoulder blades - however in all fairness we only spent about two minutes adjusting it.

I'd look at the Express Tech. It will take doubles also. I only dive in a t-shirt also and have (briefly in the store) tried a Halcyon BP/W.
I didn't like the way the plate pressed against my shoulder blades - however in all fairness we only spent about two minutes adjusting it.

Do you have the express tech? The deluxe version with padded straps and ripcord looks nice!

Ok, so based on what I've seen in other threads and personal experience, you expect a steel backplate BP/W to be about -8 compared to your current rig. So you'll probably not need any weights at all. Are you sure your not currently overweighted? If you could stand to lose a few lbs, that won't really be an option if you go steel BP/W. Were your #'s for salt or fresh? If salt, do you dive fresh? You'd be overweighted in that situation.

Where do you wear your lead now? Do you put it up front as a keel to balance that big negative tank on your back or do you not have any problems with "turtling"?

That 100cf tank has about a 7.5lb swing in buyancy so you'll start a little negative then get neutral at the end of the dive. Certainly something you could swim up.

Before I bought a BP/W, I thought it was a little "fanboy" for people to say it's really comfortable. Seriously? How could 2" nylong webbing be comfortable? But you know, it actually is. Now I haven't actually dove it in the water with just a t-shirt but I really do expect that it'd be fine.

So from what you've told me, I'd probably go ahead and get a minimal Hogarthiarn style rig. The steel BP/W would probably be fine with a bunch of qualifiers but an AL or ABS ( Zeagle Express Tech ) might be a little better for you. I think this is why you'll find some people own more then one backplate and/or dive the Express Tech in warm florida waters.

Do you know anyone in your area that you could ask to dive their rig to try it out?

As for pockets and accessories, you are probably fine without all of that until you know what you need it for and what you want.

Sounds like I wouldn't need lead. Not sure if that is good thing or bad thing... (Safety? Nothing to drop).

I probably am a little overweighted now, but I like to be a little negative so that I can stick to the bottom to dispatch a fish after I shoot it. Also the fact that I am new to this sport could be a reason why I am using more weight than I need.. I am in good shape now. 175# 6'0". Most I'd want to lose is 5#. & I only dive salt.

All my weight is in my integrated BC. I carry 6lbs in my front pockets and 2 lbs in my rear pockets. No problems turtling at the surface.

Ya my tanks start -10 and finish -2.5 depending on how low I take em.

What do you mean the steel would be fine with a bunch of 'qualifiers'? Are you thinking I'd be too negative with steel and a t-shirt without weights?

Like I said above express tech looks interesting. Wondering how well it holds up? Any other pros/cons to ABS vs steel/al other than weight differences?

I have dove my BP/W without a shirt, after 4 dives, straps had wore through my skin. I still would not get any padding. What I did, on the same trip I might add, was to get a rash guard. It dried quickly and didn't have any excess fabric. I did 22 more dives that week, wth no more damage to myself.

Try a Freedom plate with oxycheq 18lb machV wing and soft webbing. Scubatoys has (or used to have) the slightly softer webbing; more like what you'd find on vintage gear than on modern tech diving rigs. No need for pads unless you're walking long distances with the tanks on your back. Once you're in the water the weight is off your shoulders.

When I say "qualified" it's because I can't give you an unconditional "yes" due to the weighting and trim concerns. I think I wrote all of my concerns but I'll try to list them again:

1) In your scenario the 6 lbs front and 2 lbs rear weights go away as your BP/W will be about 8lbs negative relative to your current BCD. You have no turtle problems now but this might lead to decreased stability of your rig
2) In your scenario, if you decide to take a couple lbs off of your belt, you can. In the BP/W, you can't other then to dive an AL80 instead of an HP100.
3) You don't dive fresh now, but if you decide to start diving fresh, you'll be negative. Again, the only way to dump weight is to go to an AL80.

I'd say if you understand those issues and you borrow a BP/W to try it out and like it, then go for it. If those issues are a problem for you, you'd have to go with an AL plate or an Express Tech.

Again, I'd "try out" whatever it is you are going to buy to make sure it really is an improvement for you and not just another expense. After all, if you are going to do with the deluxe harness and all the bells and whistles, I'm not sure it's really that much of a difference from what you have now.

Make sense?

I wore my Halcyon SS plate with standard one piece harness over a T-shirt on Bonaire a couple of years back without issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom