Komodo - first-time liveaboard help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameson

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,

Recently found this website and this is my first post. I've read a fair bit of the info on the boards (I've been addicted once I found the site!), but I still have a few specific questions.

Got some time off in September and am looking to dive Komodo for a bit with my girlfriend. We've done about 40 dives in the last 2 years and are both in our early 20's. We've stayed at dive resorts (most recently at Sipadan/Mabul) but have never done a liveaboard before and I want to get some experience now. However, most of the boats go on 8-10 night trips, which might be a bit of a leap for us. I've found that Black Manta do a 5d/4n during the period and also Wicked Diving do a 3d/3n trip. Does anyone have any opinions on these guys, also factoring in our age/experience levels.

We might also supplement it with a stay at Komodo Dive Resort which looks quite nice. This place seem quite new, if anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks guys for any help you can provide

Welcome! Black Manta is a good option for less than a week. Also check out Moana. I just did a 5d/4n with them several weeks ago and had a great time. Took children along even. I hope to post a review shortly, but it is a boat that may meet your needs and considerations.

Will

Hi

We did the Similans with Black Manta and loved the boat ! We also did 7 nights on Mermaid 2 to Komodo which was wonderful. The diving we found challenging in places , as in you may need reef hooks, but there was lots of non-challenging stuff too. I think you will be fine , the guides should tell you if a dive may be too difficult , just take their advice.

You will love liveaboards , we have done about four in three years of diving , and they are incredible. The diving in Komodo is out of this world , you are in for a big treat !

A couple of years ago I did a very nice liveaboard with the Blue Dragon. 5d/4n. Pretty basic with shared bathrooms, but great value for money and Komodo diving is great of course!

Dimitri

Hey guys,

Recently found this website and this is my first post. I've read a fair bit of the info on the boards (I've been addicted once I found the site!), but I still have a few specific questions.

Got some time off in September and am looking to dive Komodo for a bit with my girlfriend. We've done about 40 dives in the last 2 years and are both in our early 20's. We've stayed at dive resorts (most recently at Sipadan/Mabul) but have never done a liveaboard before and I want to get some experience now. However, most of the boats go on 8-10 night trips, which might be a bit of a leap for us. I've found that Black Manta do a 5d/4n during the period and also Wicked Diving do a 3d/3n trip. Does anyone have any opinions on these guys, also factoring in our age/experience levels.

We might also supplement it with a stay at Komodo Dive Resort which looks quite nice. This place seem quite new, if anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks guys for any help you can provide

You have basically described my wife and I (although 8 to 10 years younger), We are heading for a lob (our first) in Komodo in September (Black Manta), similar dive experience, also we were in sipadan just last year. Black Manta has a lot of deals right now, you can check with aquamarine as they have lower rates than booking direct with the boat.

I am not sure about Komodo dive resort, but generally from what i understand land based in komodo means long boat rides and only to the northern part of komodo, the southern area is not within reach, and is also completely different from the north.

Check out Komodo Cruises, i went with then a while back, very good, and they do what they call a "safari" where one of thier speed boats take you out to meet the live aboard, so you can stay 1 night or however many you want... perfect!! and the diving is amazing!

I just finished a family trip to Komodo (it's school holidays in Singapore this month). We had 7 children on board between 11 & 15 years old plus their parents. None of the kids had more than 20 dives. While some had to sit out one dive, and we only stayed in the north where the waters are warmer and calmer, they all managed to great dives within their limits. Komodo offers challenging diving but also pretty easy diving too. For example, Shot Gun can be an exhilarating roller coaster ride or and easy kids dive if you avoid the centre of the bowl. With 12 meter dives (okay, sometimes we went as deep as 14m), the youngest children saw several mantas, lots of sharks, hairy frogfish, teddy bear crabs, flambuoyant cuttlefish, etc.

With 40 dives and in your 20's you will be fine. If you do choose the Black Manta, I am sure you will enjoy that very much too.

normally I would not think of it either but I was working and every adult had at least one child on board. It was a fun trip and everyone was happy but that only works with a full charter. Can you imagine showing up for your LOB of a lifetime and there are so many kids on board? I wouldn't come up from the first dive. :p

normally I would not think of it either but I was working and every adult had at least one child on board. It was a fun trip and everyone was happy but that only works with a full charter. Can you imagine showing up for your LOB of a lifetime and there are so many kids on board? I wouldn't come up from the first dive. :p
What a nightmare...

Back
Top Bottom