Suunto D9tx. Your thoughts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirtdevil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. Have been thinking about purchasing the above mentioned and would appreciate your thought. Of course personal experience is most useful.

I'm a new diver but intend to either move up to DM or tech diver eventually.

DD

They are very good computers and a bit conservative. I have the standard D9 I use on all recreational dives. I would not use the tx for any trimix or deco dives due to its conservatism, it will keep you in the water "forever"!! I also use mine as dress watch out of water.

Keep you in the water forever? Shouldn't it tell you to get out sooner since its more conservative?

DD

No
Conservative = Safer. Faster out the water does not mean safer. I does mean less time at depth and more time in the shallows.

If my D9 died I would almost certainly replace it with a D9tx.

The D9 is very, very conservative, but I understand that the D9tx has some settings where you can dial down the conservatism factor more effectively.

When I was in Truk Lagoon and we were doing four dives a day six days a week, most of which were below 100 feet / 30 meters. At the end of each day the guys with Suuntos are having their computers tell them they need to do a 16 or so minute hang, whereas the guys on more aggressive computers are just doing the usual 3 minute safety stop and then go.

I believe the D9tx have the same P (personal settings) than the Helo2 (P-2 to P+2). I have dived the Helo2 in P-2 and still had huge amounts of deco compared to my predator on VPM+1.

Make no mistake, I still love and use my D9 above and below the water. I also want to mention that being conservative is not a bad thing!!!

I have a D9 and a vyper air and they are on the
conservative side but that's the way I like it. The D9tx I don't think you could go wrong with buying one but it does do trimix also if I remember correctly.

If was spending that amount of money on a dive computer, and despite being a long-standing fan of Suunto dive computers, I'd opt for a Liquivision X1.

I have a D9 and a vyper air and they are on the
conservative side but that's the way I like it. The D9tx I don't think you could go wrong with buying one but it does do trimix also if I remember correctly.

Yeah, the D9tx does do trimix and nitrox. And I bet conservative is better. I'm on the heavy side so conservative is fine by me. :)

DD

Back
Top Bottom