Cave Diving Instructors in Playa Del Carmen or U.S.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent about 2.5 hours in Nohoch today. Visibility is less than 30 feet. If you get far enough off the line to see a formation, you can't see the line. It is just a white haze. The first cenote on the main line upstream where you can normally see ambient light for 100' coming up to it. I realized I was there when I saw the poop piles on the floor. There was zero ambient light coming through the haze.
We will head elsewhere tomorrow. I was really disappointed as I love Nohoch. A lazy swim for 150minutes in a set of 80s isn't easy to get anywhere else.

To be fair...

I did tell you it's been raining and visibility would be down.

To be fair...

yeah, I expected it to be down. I have dove it during the rainy season before. I didn't expect this. Hopefully it comes back. It is just too pretty to be hidden in haze.

Reactions: oya
yeah, I expected it to be down. I have dove it during the rainy season before. I didn't expect this. Hopefully it comes back. It is just too pretty to be hidden in haze.
On a positive note, Mayan Blue was crystal clear and perfect.

Are there now cenotes that cannot be dived anymore? Or have now always bad viz? I was there in march and some cenotes had bad viz, but now it is more terrible?

About 15 years ago, I was teaching an OW class in Boulder and, as usual, I started by asking the students why they wanted to be certified. One of them was a key figure in our local recycling company, and he said he was going to be spending a lot of time in the Tulum/Akumal area dealing with the organic pollution of the reefs. He said that all the resorts in the area dump their food waste (etc.) in landfills just barely into the jungle. Since the entire region is a labyrinth of water-filled caves, all that organic waste decomposes into the flowing water and comes out into the nearby ocean, where it is killing the coral. He was being contracted to try to help them solve that problem.

Apparently not much progress has been made since then.
sadly it s true and didn't improve. 😩

To be fair...

i visit nohoch in 2005 it was crystal clear. I dove also the pit it was just recently discovered. good old times.

You guys are working for $250/day? Yikes!

I think in another thread you mentioned that your MOD1 course is $1500. If you are teaching that over 5 days then that is only $300 per day. Not a far cry off of the $250. Yikes!

I don't believe I was ever paid as much as $250 for any day teaching scuba. Not even close.

The worst was when I became the tech instructor for the shop. I was also the only instructor in the shop certified to teach most of the advanced electives. As a result, I was scheduled to teach only tech and advanced classes, and those classes often have much lower ratios with much bigger time commitments. Yet I was paid the same way all the other instructors were--either per student or per dive. That meant my 2-student classes paid 1/4 the amount of an 8-student OW pool session, even though they took the same amount of time. Except for the tech--then I was paid $15 per dive--I was nearly working for free while the shop charged the students much more than other classes.

That's when I decided to go independent. I offered my classes at a lower price than the shop did, and I had fewer students, but with the shop not keeping 95% of the student fees, I was miles ahead.

I am just now revisiting this thread. I will be back to finish up my cave training next time but geez, you guys really through a damper on my enthusiasm about relocating hahaha 😂. Just kidding....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom