Question Cave Diving Courses advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't know the guy... But he doesn't do caves (at least, they are not sponsored on his website)

In private conversations with him, he told me that he does do cave diving training. He personally dives caves that are very deep. His website isn't great unfortunately.

I was told it's not. If it is now, I'd avoid it.
They are actually quite open to divers from any agency, but feel free to do as you wish :)

My point was more in terms of training, but as you can see above, I was not very precise (instructors from other agencies regularly teach there)

They are actually quite open to divers from any agency, but feel free to do as you wish :)

My point was more in terms of training, but as you can see above, I was not very precise (instructors from other agencies regularly teach there)
You are not doing them any favours by calling them a gue shop. It's not true and many people will avoid a gue shop. 'gue shop' also it means that they are charging way more than normal shops for the same service.

You are not doing them any favours by calling them a gue shop. It's not true and many people will avoid a gue shop. 'gue shop' also it means that they are charging way more than normal shops for the same service.
I don't know what is your idea of GUE vs. not-GUE dive shop, but they are a GUE premium dive center:

They choose it and are happy with it. Whether some people want to avoid them or not, for whatever reason, is none of my business, and they surely considered it carefully before choosing the affiliation.

Anyway, I am digressing - this is a bit OT, I'll stop it now :)

They choose it and are happy with it.
One if the co-owners/investors told me it's not a gue shop when I asked the years they opened. I tend to believe him more than what an fanboy who lives in a gue bubble tell me online.

Base1 is on the list as gue divecenter. That does not mean you are not welcome. It does also not mean that rental gear is more expensive.
But it does mean that if you want to do a cave course that a gue course is more expensive than others.

I have rented gear from Zero Gravity in Puerto Aventuras, they asked me for a cert and could not believe I did not have any gue cert, but it was no problem to rent tanks. Also it was not a problem to find buddies.

Base1 has also a non gue owner. I am for sure all divers are welcome.

But if the TS is based in Egypt, do you dive a drysuit or not? If not, France is maybe a little bit cold, 13 degrees. But otherwise it can be an option.
Forget Malta, there are no caves, only caverns. So even intro to cave is not possible there. It is a nice country with nice diveplaces, nice caverns, but not caves. Even Billinghurst is no real cave.
Florida has high flow caves, and they are quite deep. Not that you need trimix, but you will reach ndl easy. Of course peacock is shallower and almost no flow.
Mexico is shallow, so long dives are possible.
Spain is maybe also an option.
But also think about Thailand, I learned cave diving there.

Just doing intro to cave is an option. But from what I see here in Europe is that within 5 dives over 98% of the divers go over their officiall limits. First it is the gasrule which is most times not 1/3rd. Then it is the no decompressiondives rule. And also no jump rule is ignored. So in that case it is better to choose for a full cave course all in once.
The gasrule will not be a problem in Mexico for nice dives, but it will for sure in Florida or France.

Some divers can do it all to full cave, others better can stick with intro to cave first. From behind a screen we cannot tell you what is best, we don't know how experienced you are in sidemount and decompressiondiving. Because if you are not, these skills also need to be mastered and then maybe it is too much.

Base1 has also a non gue owner. I am for sure all divers are welcome.
As far as I know, there are multiple owners. One is the GUE IE working there, the other is another diver; they are buddies, so GUE or not (I actually think he is), the other owner is comfortable with GUE standards. They initially did not want to be a GUE diving center for a series of reasons; indeed, I was surprised when they became one, but this is not important for the sake of this discussion.

And, as you said, the fact that they are associated with GUE does not mean anything - everybody is welcome, and even instructors from other agencies gave courses there.

But if the TS is based in Egypt, do you dive a drysuit or not? If not, France is maybe a little bit cold, 13 degrees. But otherwise it can be an option.
Even in Sardinia, the freshwater zone is a bit cool. Some people are okay with a wet suit, but most are not (I met only one girl going there with a wetsuit). But this is a great point for the OP.

Even in Sardinia, the freshwater zone is a bit cool. Some people are okay with a wet suit, but most are not (I met only one girl going there with a wetsuit). But this is a great point for the OP.
I dove the 15 degrees in Sardinia in a wetsuit in the caves. No problem. But it is something to think about. That is why I mentioned it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom