Oceanic VT 4.1 - VS - Oceanic Geo 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkATooth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering what is the biggest key features between the two? I am looking for my first computer but dont want to buy something that I dont need compared to something that I can use and be comfortable with. I dont think I will get into tech diving. Just regular recreational to 130' and maybe doing some wreck or small cave dives. Thanks for the help.

Probably the VT 4.1. I have the Geo 2 and it is a bit small and somewhat difficult to navigate. By the way, there are no small cave dives. Perhaps you meant to say cavern dives. :wink:

The VT4 is air integrated and the Geo 2 is not. The Atom 3 is like an AI Geo 2, from what I understand. The VT4 has a dot matrix display, from what I recall, that's supposed to be nice, and the VT4 is larger (but not hugely so).

If you go to DiveNav's website, they've got a tool where you can pull up a column by column list comparing features of dive computers you specify.

Richard.

@ SharkaTooth first off I recommend you dive as much as possible, I see you have between 0-24 dives under your belt. Your OW certified and need more experience. A VT4 is a great computer, but instead of spending $1000+ on a computer I would buy a basic computer for around $300 that's Nitrox intergrated. Spend the rest of your $$$ on dive charters and more training, its the best advice anyone could give you.
I wish you the best on your new adventures

The VT4 is air integrated and the Geo 2 is not. The Atom 3 is like an AI Geo 2, from what I understand. The VT4 has a dot matrix display, from what I recall, that's supposed to be nice, and the VT4 is larger (but not hugely so).

If you go to DiveNav's website, they've got a tool where you can pull up a column by column list comparing features of dive computers you specify.

Richard.

FYI. The VT 4.1 is sold without the transmitter. In practical terms, it would not be a good value as you are paying for the ability to to be hose-less...

I was going to go with a Geo II, it seemed like a good computer. I ended up finding a great deal on LP for the VT4 and went with it instead. I love all the features, it's very easy to learn and navigate, I picked it up with the air-integrated and love having it all on my wrist as opposed to continually clipping and unclipping the SPG (I still carry the spg as redundancy and peek at it once or twice to make sure everything is working ok). The light is nice and bright, there are a ton of alarm options, I think (as and for a noob) it's a great higher end computer and you won't find yourself wanting to upgrade in the near future.

The only two gripes I have - it's a little large and I had originally wanted a watch style. Makes up for this in its ease to read underwater which is more important anyway. And it's still the timex style digital rather than full colour or the liquivision type displays...Not a big deal I guess, but I do like the bright screens a lot.

Good luck in your decision!

@ Aaron - What is LP? and how is the digital compass on the vt 4.0? and how good is the connection on the transmitter?

---------- Post added ----------

@ Aaron - What is LP? and how is the digital compass on the vt 4.0? and how good is the connection on the transmitter?

The compass works great. Easy to calibrate. It has a general N setting as well as a programmable heading setting which can be reversed for the way back with a quick couple button presses. Accessable from the main dive screen by simply holding the select button (on the side). Just quickly pressing select turns on the light (for what ever time youve programmed it to stay on for).

The other two buttons are mode and advance. Mode brings you into the options screens then the mode /advance buttons scroll up and down and you use select to pick. Super easy. Advance by itself takes you to the secondary screen during a dive, or a 2nd and 3rd if using nitrox.

The bar graphs (one for NDL and the other for acent rate) are clear. Alarms are all programmable.

LP is the leisurepro website. I just had a look and the deals aren't as good as they were a few months ago, but they're still decent.

Transmitter worked excellent, I think at least, when looking at the info transferred to my PC I see that it loses contact for <5seconds when it does, which wasn't often, and I've never noticed in water.

Hope that helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom