Question on travel BCD's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jewelofnile69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all! I'm looking into purchasing a back inflate light travel BC. Seeing that they are so much lighter and don't have a plate, are they good in cooler, freshwater? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I purchased an Oceanic BioLite for travel. It is a back inflate. I really like it, but with 32lbs of lift (size medium), it does not work for me for my local, "cold" fresh water dives. Max weight capacity is 24 lbs.

Last edited:
The Scubapro LiteHawk is an excellent travel B.C. and also works well in cold water with 56lbs. of lift!

There are some very nice travel BCDs out there. You could also create your own travel BPW. Oxycheq has a travel back plate that you could mount to a 18-20lb wing that would probably be lighter than most BCDs on the market. Like everything else associated with our sport, it does come at a premium. Zeagle has the Express Tech and Aqualung has the Zuma. I'm certain the other manufacturers have something similar in design and capability. One thing that I like about the Zeagle Express Tech is the material chosen for the bladder, which is very tough as compared to the Aqualung Zuma. Gear gets tossed a lot on the boat and in the bags during transport, get something that has can withstand some wear.

Zeagle Express Tec with 24# lift. Ample lift for tropics or cooler freshwater dives. If you need more lift order it with a 30# bladder.

I use an Aqua Lung Zuma for tropical waters and have had some divers take them to SoCal diving. While there maybe be ample lift the small webbing worries me carrying 24, 26, 28 pound of ballast plus the weight of an AL80.

The Scubapro LiteHawk is an excellent travel B.C. and also works well in cold water with 56lbs. of lift!

Why on earth would a single tank diver ever want 56 pounds of lift? That's a huge air bladder to trap air in . . .

Why on earth would a single tank diver ever want 56 pounds of lift? That's a huge air bladder to trap air in . . .
If a diver is wearing thick neoprene or a dry suit, then 56lbs of lift is not over the top especially in rough surface conditions. Since the Scubapro B.C.'s have four dump valves, it is easy to get the air out.

The Scubapro LiteHawk has a Pleated, Progressively-Shaped Aircel with retractable technology, so it is steamlined.

OP -- rather than ask "What is a good travel BC" why not ask, "What features might I want for a BC that is good for travel for diving in cooler, fresh water?"

For me, the features I want in a BC (quite frankly, travel or otherwise) are:

a. Does it do the job! That is, is this a BC that helps me dive instead of having to fight it. This is Number 1 for me.

b. Transportability. It is easy to pack? Do I have options in HOW to pack it -- luggage, carryon, backpack itself?

c. Compatibility. It is like my other gear (assuming it is not your only BC)? Is the inflator connection standard (or at least standard with the reg(s) I will use?

For me, I like back inflate BCs. I also like a BC I can "take apart" and spread out in my luggage and/or carryon. I also like to be able to use the same/similar BC at home as on a trip. Where does that lead me? I'm almost sorry to say, but to a standard Back Plate/Wing setup. I'll either travel with my steel back plate (it weighs just about the same as my SeaQuest Balance) or my Kydex BP (which weighs 1/3 of my Balance). I can put the plate in my carryon if I want or in my luggage. It is very "packable" because I can take the wing and the cambands off and put them where I need to put them rather than have the whole BC in one spot.

I know people oppose the BP/W set up but it is my belief that most who do haven't used them. Travelling with a modular BP/W is very easy.

Thanks for all of the responses! And Peter, you are probably right that I could've worded my question differently.

The good news is that I don't need a lot of weight to get down. Even with a 7mm with hooded vest and 6.5mm boots and 6.5mm gloves I only need at most 18lbs to get down in cool, fresh water. I carry quite a bit of muscle so generally sink easily and have no problems surfacing too fast on ascent. For "caribbean" diving with a 3mm I only need at most 6lbs (if I have a hood) to get down with my current vest BCD. So I'm not too worried about "lift."

I am going to continue to review these and one of the LSD's here said I could try a few different back inflate travel ones out (they have about 4 different brands for rental...2 of which were mentioned above). I'll let you know what I choose!

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom